Monopods: Yay or Nay ?

Discuss your photos here
brethenry

Monopods: Yay or Nay ?

Post by brethenry » Thu May 18, 2017 1:15 pm

Hey everyone.

So, I'm newbie and I bought part of my first kit second hand. It came with a monopod. I use the tripod when necessary of course but, I find the monopod is so much easier to carry on hikes or in the city. I usually take pics from handheld but it's great being able to whip out that monopod for more stability than handheld. Its fast, nimble and light.

Weight isn't the only consideration. I don't mind lugging around what I need but, rapidly setting up a tripod on a crowded city street can be an exercise in futility.

I was scolded by some other more advanced photographers that monopods are for tourists and they're only good for doubling as a walking stick.

I'll keep using it regardless because it works for me though I'm curious about the prevalence of monopods by other photographers.

Thanks,

roanephoto

Re: Monopods: Yay or Nay ?

Post by roanephoto » Thu May 18, 2017 1:39 pm

Definitely Yay, I agree with all you have said about the pros of a monopod and who ever those so called more advanced photographers were, that said monopods are for tourists (tell that to a professional sports photographer) well they are full of BS in my opinion. Although they do well as a walking stick when hiking through the Forrest lol.

I have a tripod that is also a monopod so I get the best of both worlds and can honestly say that the monopod is way better to use in a lot of situations, that is not to say that the tripod isn't better to use in other situation because it is, as the saying goes it's horse for courses. Both a tripod and monopod are essential parts of a photographers kit professional or armature.

petermillar

Post by petermillar » Thu May 18, 2017 10:03 pm

I have a monopod as well as tripods. They are limited in that you can't use them for long exposures, but handy for heavy lenses. You'll find all sorts of ways to stabilise the camera using posts, trees, knees, walls, posture, breathing etc. and monopods have their place in that. They also have useful points on the end (useful for sticking into grass, of course, not people who annoy you!)

travel

Post by travel » Fri May 19, 2017 8:08 pm

I used to use a monopod with a long lens, but could hold a 300mm f2.8 in good conditions quite comfortably; otherwise it was faster film.

:mrgreen:

Michel
Travel Photography on ClickASnap

dylanburgess

Post by dylanburgess » Fri May 19, 2017 11:36 pm

Got no problems with a monopod, have one which I can break down into 3 sections...connect the head directly to the base and make a mini tripod that is useful in hides which have a ledge to rest on ;) Probably doesn't answer the original question....so I suppose Yay

bob-willers

Post by bob-willers » Sun Jul 19, 2020 1:09 pm

There are places where a tripod is not allowed but a monopod is, so let the seasoned photographers have their opinion and miss the shot, then remind them that some of the world's top commercial photographers use them. I have one and it does make a good walking stick until it becomes one of the three legs of a tripod. My own two legs making up the shortfall.