Do you process your pictures before posting them?

Discuss your photos here
frankstyburski

Do you process your pictures before posting them?

Post by frankstyburski » Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:10 pm

I saw a documentary about George Martin, the record producer who was responsible for nearly all of the records by the Beatles.
He said something that can be applied to the different ways we approach our picture making.
He said that the prevailing goal of the recording industry was to record the most faithful reproduction of a musician's performance.

I think that some of my documentary photographers approach their work in this way. The objective is to faithfully reproduce what they see.

Martin said that his approach was different. He said that he was less interested in reproducing a performance the way he heard it than the way he wanted to hear it.
He wasn't adverse to using studio tricks, adding musicians, tinkering with the music, and collaborating with the artists to achieve the sound he wanted.

Those of us who are not documentary photographers, (myself included), don't mind processing pictures in Photoshop to get the result we imagined when we made the exposure.

Where do you stand on the issue?
Does the visual result justify the means of achieving it?
Or, does the photographer have a responsibility to preserve the visual integrity of the situation, (flaws and all), as it existed at the time of exposure?

hpbirkeland

Re: Do you process your pictures before posting them?

Post by hpbirkeland » Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:49 pm

frankstyburski wrote: Martin said that his approach was different. He said that he was less interested in reproducing a performance the way he heard it than the way he wanted to hear it.
He wasn't adverse to using studio tricks, adding musicians, tinkering with the music, and collaborating with the artists to achieve the sound he wanted.
That's exactly how I think about my photography. I never post an unprocessed photo, and I often make them the way I want them to look rather than how the scene really looked at the moment. The main goal is to make a beautiful image, not necessarily to reproduce reality as accurate as possible. The only thing I don't do is adding things that weren't there. I often remove things, though, to clean up the composition.

123Barso123

Post by 123Barso123 » Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:55 am

As above and for the very same reasons.
No matter what settings you put into your camera the jpeg engine will never give you what you require so the only alternative is to use raw and process yourself.

skipper

Post by skipper » Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:31 pm

I am processing more and more.

What I always did is leveling. I cannot stand slanted horizons. For the composition I also cropped in post.
For a long time that was about it.
Now I am getting more and more used to photo editing (using Affinity Photo) and really start enjoying it. So I set my camera to save both JPG and RAW. In most cases I stick with the JPG - but for uploading here I now always start from the RAW and develop myself.
And over time I am getting more and more "aggressive" in the types of modification I do. Overall color correction - selective color correction (e.g. to bring out details in the clouds), dodge and burn and even removing annoying objects.
I see this rather as a creative process (creating what I would like to have seen) rather really documenting what I really saw.
BTW: this is what our brain does all the time - how often did I overlook something during shooting which annoyed me when I viewed the pic on the big screen. I guess that is what is called "selective perception".
Has this cigarette butt really been there when I took this picture? I did not see it at the time - and I certainly do not want to see it in my picture now. - so out with the "inpaintig brush" or clone tool... :D
But this is a recent personal development. I do have quite some pictures on CAS which are more or less straigh out of camera.

katklicks

Post by katklicks » Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:16 pm

I have begun to shoot most of my pictures in RAW format as opposed to JPG, just because I have seen how much data can be recovered by using RAW. It's not a "because that's how all the professionals do it" but rather because I can get a bit caught up in the shooting of pictures and forget to do something like change my white balance (I did this very thing this morning) or since I am just starting to move away from the automatic pop up flash and trying to emulate studio lighting some. If I didn't shoot RAW I wouldn't have been able to salvage a very nice portrait of my daughter because it was terribly overexposed.
When I am working on my pictures, I do try to keep them as I saw them with my eye as shooting, although sometimes just for kicks I will go a bit overboard, more to see what will happen.
Like Mike Browne says in a lot of his YouTube videos, post processing always happened, the general public just didn't know it.
HTH
Kat (katklicks)

petermillar

Post by petermillar » Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:09 pm

Another vote for what George Martin said.

gjesdal

Post by gjesdal » Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:49 am

Apart from the obvious exception of work for newspapers and similar I rarely, if ever, post anything that haven't been edited.
I have seen quite a lot of studio photographers that actually do get it right in camera and can deliver that to clients with little or now editing. (this also speeds up the time they use on computer and can help them get more work done so they can actually make a living out of it)

For me it seems really absurd to buy expensive camera gear and then put camera on automatic and post those jpgs.

The edit process doesn't have to be extensive, but in my mind all photos need some processing and that processing shouldn't be left entirely on the settings in your camera but an active choice in post-process.

tomoswald

Post by tomoswald » Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:22 am

I rarely edit images, I quite enjoy the challenge of taking the image 'in camera' so to speak

raymond

Post by raymond » Sat Oct 07, 2017 5:19 pm

To me the camera is just a tool to the end image, but that don't mean it has to be the only one .If you need to edit to get the image you want then go for it . Its always happened even when film was being used. And i think it always will especially now its so easy with digital.

pogmomadra

Post by pogmomadra » Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:13 pm

I generally tweak something, but not a great deal of pp, unless I go for total sliding for fun !
I find my jpeg pics need little pp, IMHO the quality of my camera and it's on board computer does a far better job than me. I do raw pics also but don't very often post to CaS as the file size tends to be very large.
Pog Mo Madra !