Olympus TG

Do you have anything specific to say about any cameras or lenses? Or fancy recommending a really good one you have come across? Post in here
owenevans

Olympus TG

Post by owenevans » Fri Jun 02, 2017 3:19 pm

I'm looking at buying a waterproof camera for kayaking trips. I know the image quality won't get near a DSLR, but I don't want to risk expensive camera equipment in a waterproof housing. Does anyone get good results with such cameras? The sample shots I have seen look okay and they are about to release the new TG-5 model.

owenevans

Re: Olympus TG

Post by owenevans » Fri Jun 02, 2017 4:59 pm

owenevans

Post by owenevans » Wed Jul 05, 2017 5:07 am

Just in case anyone is following this, I received my Olympus TG-5 yesterday. I only had time to try it out in my garden, but so far I'm very impressed. The colours are wonderful and the macro feature far surpasses anything I expected from a compact camera. The RAW files are .ORF which aren't recognised in lightroom, but Olympus have a free photo editing software for these file types.

Looking forward to trying it out whilst kayaking!

roanephoto

Post by roanephoto » Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:04 am

I have always wanted a tg-4 and promised myself if I found a good secondhand one at a reasonable price I would buy one. But guess what there aren't any, everybody hangs on to them because they are so good lol. :roll:

gjesdal

Post by gjesdal » Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:40 am

owenevans wrote:Just in case anyone is following this, I received my Olympus TG-5 yesterday. I only had time to try it out in my garden, but so far I'm very impressed. The colours are wonderful and the macro feature far surpasses anything I expected from a compact camera. The RAW files are .ORF which aren't recognised in lightroom, but Olympus have a free photo editing software for these file types.

Looking forward to trying it out whilst kayaking!
Also just in case anyone comes across this:

Adobe will not normally support a new camera straight away. I've pre-ordered a couple of Nikons so known the pain :-)

petermillar

Post by petermillar » Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:31 pm

owenevans wrote:The RAW files are .ORF which aren't recognised in lightroom
sorry if this is a stupid suggestion, but it happened to me recently (not with Olympus) and via google I discovered that there was a free Adobe upgrade downloadable

gjesdal

Post by gjesdal » Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:25 pm

If one have a subscription these cameras will get updated, but if one have an old version what one can do is to use the Adobe DNG converter.
It's an extra step, but this will convert the original raw files to the Adobe raw file and those you can then import to Lightroom.

http://supportdownloads.adobe.com/detail.jsp?ftpID=5597