Mirrorless......?

Do you have anything specific to say about any cameras or lenses? Or fancy recommending a really good one you have come across? Post in here
chris_plewa

Re: Mirrorless......?

Post by chris_plewa » Fri Jul 29, 2016 1:18 am

Jeremy,

Firstly a caveat - I am very new to photography and everyone has their own wants and needs however I thought I would share my observations of the Lumix G6 that I was able to find used last year for $400 ($300) with a 14-42 kit lens.

I shoot mainly landscapes and I chose mirrorless because I wanted a light kit for taking backpacking. Its small and functional and it doesn't draw attention. After looking at all the models I went with the G6 to dip my toe in. I was swayed by the articulated touchscreen LCD, EVF, Touchpad AF and multiple Focus Points. It has focus peaking too and shoots nice video with continuous AF. For me that was a lot of functionality that I would have paid a lot for in DSLR format and for nearly no money down - I am blown away with the image quality. Its small but has a decent grip and can take a zoom lens without looking unbalanced.

If you are looking to get a first mirrorless, consider looking at one of these discontinued models that you can pick up relatively cheaply. The M43 format has the largest line of lenses available and you can always step up to a newer body if you find it compelling. I have a few friends that own DSLR's and are considering a "switch" but if it were me I would just buy something like a G6 to supplement my bigger camera as each has their time and place.

That's my 2 cents.

All the images on my profile are with the G6 14-42 kit lens.

Chris

freepieanchips

Post by freepieanchips » Fri Jul 29, 2016 6:05 pm

I use a Nikon 1 V2 with a J1 as backup for my mirrorless system strictly for car photography at shows when I don't want to be hauling around my DSLR gear, as well as for travelling when the system saves an incredible amount of space.

While criticised for the small 1-inch CX sensor, the 1 system does have many advocates - me included. Many of the 1-system lenses really are quite incredible with superb colour rendition and tack sharpness, throughout the focal range in the case of the zooms. There are occasional DOF foibles which are to be expected with the small sensor, but personally I've never found that to be a serious problem for the work I use this system for.

Best of all, the FT1 adaptor which I recently acquired will allow me to use my regular F lenses with an effective 2.7x crop value with no loss of light. Sure, there are better mirrorless cameras on the market, but the fact that I can use mine as an extension to my existing system for specific purposes makes economic, as well as photographic, sense.

MarcinKoscielny

Post by MarcinKoscielny » Sat Jul 30, 2016 8:54 pm

I have a mirorless Sony and while I can't complain on the image quality, I wish it was bigger. It makes it hard to keep it level, and some of my compositions turned out to be not that good because of it. It's still a problem sometimes. I'm thinking of getting a grip for it. On the other hand Fuji's ergonomics are better from what I've heard and they keep improving the design.

The biggest advantage though: I can use any photographic lens I can imagine. Rangefinder glass too. With some work also projection lenses, cine if your camera captures super35 video. Some of those things render like painters. You can also tilt full frame lenses if you have cropped sensor which opens more creative possibilities.

Just check out this blog: http://oldlenses.blogspot.com/2015/10/t ... enses.html

As for which is better, I have no answer, because I never used a camera with mirror that much.

keithboone

Post by keithboone » Sun Jul 31, 2016 6:42 pm

I shot a Sony Nex-7 until I wore it out and decided not to have it repaired.. I still have a Fuji X100S which is lovely. Today I mostly shoot my Nikon D750, and doubt I will switch from that as I have a full set of lenses for it, and the cost would be enormous to replace everything. If I was looking at mirrorless today, I might consider the new Fuji XT2. I love how Fuji implements the old-school knobs and controls, and the viewfinder is really awesome!

Gillman

Post by Gillman » Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:20 pm

Hi I shoot Fujifilm mirrorless these days after suing pro Nikon for years and I want for nothing.

In fact the lenses are on the whole better and its glass that is more important than any camera body. Its the glass you should build your kit around.

Fujinon Lenses are outstanding. (I get nothing from them BTW)

frankstyburski

Post by frankstyburski » Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:12 pm

I've been using Sony Alpha 3000 mirrorless cameras for a couple of years now. I understand that it has an APC sensor instead of a full frame, and it was Sony's low end camera at the time. It was the best combination of capabilities and affordability at the time. Being mirrorless was just a bonus. I have to say that I am pleased with the results I get, and don't have any plans on changing. The camera is a somewhat smaller package, and I can hand hold the camera at longer exposures. But I would have been just as pleased if it had been a DSLR.

I might add that Canon, Nikon, and Fuji just introduced their mirrorless systems. And the technology they deliver represents a windfall of advances over the last twenty years. The point that I am trying to make is that almost any camera you get will be vastly superior to anything that Ansel Adams, Edward Weston, Imogen Cunningham, Robert Capa, or any of the masters used. In theory, we should be making amazing images. We are not. Rather than liberating our creativity, we tend to use new equipment, pretty much the way we used our old equipment. I have to ask whether all of the new technology is just so much a solution in search of a need.

The notion that one mirrorless camera should take better pictures than another is silly, of course. There is a temptation to buy more technology than we know what to do with. This is not to say that you can take any picture you want with every camera. You still have to do your homework, and check to see if it will fill your specific shooting needs. But ask yourself if a mirrorless system will let you take pictures that you have failed at now.