Mirrorless......?

Do you have anything specific to say about any cameras or lenses? Or fancy recommending a really good one you have come across? Post in here
Photoman60

Mirrorless......?

Post by Photoman60 » Mon Jul 25, 2016 11:06 pm

Back in the 80s, alongside my Canon rigs, I shot with a Leica M4P with a 28mm Summicron lens attached. Over the decades as the AF and later DSLRs began to dominate the scene, I found myself using the M4 less and less, so a few years back I sold both the body and lens (which in hindsight..... :( ). So, over the years I have begun scaling back my equipment as carrying around all that gear only gets in the way. While I still plan on staying with DSLRs, I am interested in looking at the possibility of shooting with mirrorless again. My background is news shooting though I am primarily a travel and editorial shooter these days with some commercial work thrown in. These days showing up with one of my EOS 1Ds, is often greeted with hostility or being hit up with a $50.00-$100.00 charge to enter some museums and other venues (I was denied entrance to a local amusement park recently because on my huge DSLR and their "No Pro photographers Allowed" policy, though most folks were armed with the smart phone cameras and many mirrorless cameras passed through with no questions asked). So this got me thinking about mirrorless. As many of the current crop of mirrorless rigs can keep up with DSLRs with regards to image quality and the fact they are far more portable is very attractive to me, however the biggest selling point is no one (or very few) with give you are hard time about entering their venues with a "non-professional looking camera". So over the past month or so I have been been watching at a ton of Youtube vids, reviews, ect... The Olympus Pen F has really piqued my interests, so, anyone shoot with that camera..... if so what are your thoughts? Thoughts and opinions on any and all mirrorless outfits are welcome. I must say, as a Canon shooter, I was disappointed by their M series. I liked the idea being able to use my EF glass (via an adapter) to the camera, however every model has received mostly negative reviews.

One very important feature that I need is the traditional viewfinder, I simply can not get used to aiming and composing via the LCD screen, no matter how hard I try, guess I'am just too "old school".

Again, any opinions, thoughts on mirrorless regardless of the maker is welcome.

-Thomas
Last edited by Photoman60 on Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

tomoswald

Re: Mirrorless......?

Post by tomoswald » Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:37 am

I use a Canon 5D Mkiii and recently have been looking to upgrade the the 5DSR. When i was in the camera shop the guy suggested trying the new sony alpha mirrorless camera, i must admit i was very impressed. I actually bought my other half one of the cheaper models for her to use with her dog business and the photos she is getting are pretty amazing to be honest.
Several things i really didn't like though; 1) the digital view finder, really not a fan of this myself and 2) the cost of the lenses is huge compared to my Canon lenses. The lens i use the most is the Canon 70-200 f2.8 L series (http://www.canon.co.uk/lenses/ef-70-200 ... -usm-lens/) This lens is about £1,500 or thereabouts whereas the Sony lens equivalent was almost £3,000. And 3) I like holding a big camera and lens i just find it a lot easier than scrunched up behind a tiny camera

Anyway, those are my thoughts on mirrorless cameras. I am constantly looking for a camera that can be kept in the car which i wouldn't mind too much if it was stolen and i may consider using a mirrorless sony camera for this

petermillar

Post by petermillar » Tue Jul 26, 2016 8:33 pm

Sorry if I'm dragging the conversation off piste, but back to the original problem ... do you think you would get the same hassle with just a smaller dslr. A lot of amateurs seem to use things like 6D or even 5D bodies. Then there are the crop sensor ones which are smaller still. As for mirrorless, I've never used one in real life but am with Tom on the viewfinder issue.

tomoswald

Post by tomoswald » Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:32 pm

Personally, i would either go for a compact or stick with a 5D+ i wouldn't go the mirror-less route myself

jeremy_lavender

Post by jeremy_lavender » Wed Jul 27, 2016 11:30 am

Hi Thomas,

After over 30 years with Nikon bodies (Both films and digital), I went the Mirrorless road 3 years ago...

If you don't mind the cropped sensor and if it is to use as a travel camera, I think the Fuji X-Pro is your best choice. I had the first version for some time and the actual X-Pro2 is actually even a lot better. You'll have the optical viewfinder which can also be converted into a digital viewfinder using a selector. At reasonable price, this is what will brings you closer to the rangefinder experience you had with the Leica.
Sensor and lens from Fuji are awesome and they are always updating their software to bring new or corrected features.
The size of the Fuji X-Pro is very similar to a Leica M body so not too small either.

I sold my Fuji gear to go in bed with Sony (A7II and A7S) for 2 years as it was putting me back into the full-frame game. Awesome image quality, awesome lenses too but way more costly and last but not least... The A7 bodies are really (too) small in my hands to be comfortable, especially if used with a big lens. Sony A7's battery life is also a joke (a bad one) and I had a bunch of small batteries always following me.

6 months ago, I finally hit my dream in buying a Leica (I sold one kidney, my dog and 2 children as well as all Sony gear) as I was lurking the M body since so many years BUT... at the time I was ready to buy, Leica came out of the dark age and offers the Leica SL (Mirrorless FF 24MP). That's the one I finally got and so glad I did. It brings all advantages of a Mirrorless camera while keeping a size of a Nikon D750. I'm using it mostly with the vario elmarit 24-90mm which covers 85% of my needs and have a 50mm and a 180mm, both old Leica R lens working very well with the SL body.
So, now, the GAS (Gear Acquisition Syndrome) is cured once for all as my wallet is still slapping me every time I dare to look at it, even after 6 months. This is also my main camera and I get back the VAT as I'm VAT registered (That's my poor excuse to justify with the boss at home).

Anyway, all of that to say... If you are doing business with your camera and are looking for the long time quality gear (Leica are build like tank), the Leica SL might be a very wise investment. If this is not the case and just need a second camera (or travel camera) The Fuji X-Pro2 might be a great and very polyvalent choice.

Hope it helps. Keep us posted on your decision ;)

tomoswald

Post by tomoswald » Wed Jul 27, 2016 5:00 pm

Well we shall see, at the moment i am trying to find a field to enter to do photography. I am quite keen to get a bigger telescope and do astrophotography again

jeremy_lavender

Post by jeremy_lavender » Wed Jul 27, 2016 6:54 pm

tomoswald wrote:Well we shall see, at the moment i am trying to find a field to enter to do photography. I am quite keen to get a bigger telescope and do astrophotography again
Something I never did and have absolutely no idea how it works :? But I bet it must be very captivating too

jeremy_lavender

Post by jeremy_lavender » Wed Jul 27, 2016 10:35 pm

Photoman60 wrote:Back in the 80s, alongside my Canon rigs, I shot with a Leica M4P with a 28mm Summicron lens attached

One very important feature that I need is the traditional viewfinder, I simply can not get used to aiming and composing via the LCD screen, no matter how hard I try, guess I'am just too "old school".
Did you check the Leica Q?

Fixed 28mm with FF 24 mp, awesome sensor and viewfinder

Photoman60

Post by Photoman60 » Wed Jul 27, 2016 11:00 pm

jeremy_lavender wrote:
Photoman60 wrote:Back in the 80s, alongside my Canon rigs, I shot with a Leica M4P with a 28mm Summicron lens attached

Did you check the Leica Q?

Fixed 28mm with FF 24 mp, awesome sensor and viewfinder
Yeah, sadly, as I am no longer in that tax bracket, Leicas are not an option at the moment.

Oh..... and thanks guys for the comments and feedback, all very useful. Likely make a decision next month. The Fuji PrX-Pro 2 is definitely a contender, along with the Olympus Pen F.

BTW, I currently shoot with a 1DX, 7DmkII and still have a 1DS MkII (which was retired, but held in reserves should the 1DX develop an issue). Thought about the 5D III or possibly an 'R' version, but decided on the 1DX when the prices began to drop. Been shooting with the EOS 1, lineup since my chrome days, so I am reluctant not to have a EOS 1 in my arsenal. Before that the F1AE and T-90.

tomoswald

Post by tomoswald » Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:05 am

jeremy_lavender wrote:
tomoswald wrote:Well we shall see, at the moment i am trying to find a field to enter to do photography. I am quite keen to get a bigger telescope and do astrophotography again
Something I never did and have absolutely no idea how it works :? But I bet it must be very captivating too
It is amazing, but so expensive. Basically you are combinging the two most expensive hobbies into one, Astronomy and Photography. If you think Tripods are expensive try a tracking telescope mount accurate to 1/100 of an arc second over 180 degrees ;)