What mirrorless camera would you pick?

Do you have anything specific to say about any cameras or lenses? Or fancy recommending a really good one you have come across? Post in here
tomoswald

What mirrorless camera would you pick?

Post by tomoswald » Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:35 pm

i sold all my camera kit a while ago, (ironically to invest in clickasnap) and am now kern to get new kit

I am seriously toying with moving away from canon DSLRs to the Sony A7riii. Any thoughts on why i should or shouldn't do it?

My main reasons is size (afterall the best camera you have is the one that you have on you) and i particularly like the 10+ frames per second

dylanburgess

Re: What mirrorless camera would you pick?

Post by dylanburgess » Thu Jul 09, 2020 7:10 pm

I have made the switch to mirrorless, I started slow but plan to invest in 1 more (big)lens and body(possibly two) in future.

I also chose to switch brands from Nikon to Sony as they seem to lead the way with auto focus and subject tracking which is something I rely on. One thing I have noticed is that certain models are targeted towards certain genres

A7 - general purpose, decent low light
A7R - High megapixel, not great in low light - Landscape/Portrait
a7S - great for video, low megapixel great low light - video
A9 - High speed, Great low light - sports/wildlife

They also do an APC lineup which is great, currently using A6400. There compact line is apparently good too.

My ideal set up would be two bodies A9 + AR iii or iv one for movement and lowlight and teh other for portrait/macro stuff.

Also the thought about the general package being smaller and lighter is mostly false, yes the bodies are slightly lighter, but most of your weight is in the lens.

So after all this waffle would I recommend Sony, definitely, but look at each body and decide which is best for your needs.

On another note if you enjoy vintage glass, you can get an A to E mount adaptor, there is some good Minolta lens for very reasonable prices.

tomoswald

Post by tomoswald » Thu Jul 09, 2020 7:36 pm

Thanks Dylan, very useful info :)

dylanburgess

Post by dylanburgess » Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:19 pm

Your welcome Tom

Another quick side note, they will be revealing/releasing a couple new bodies this year. Rumours of new budget full frame and a new "S" body.

tomoswald

Post by tomoswald » Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:51 pm

Yes i'm keeping an eye on it all the Sony A9 is what is really interesting me at the moment because of the 20 frames per second

tomoswald

Post by tomoswald » Fri Jul 10, 2020 9:18 am

Just seen the specs for the Canon R6. Same price as the sony A7riii but matches the A9. Impressive

dylanburgess

Post by dylanburgess » Fri Jul 10, 2020 3:19 pm

They do look impressive on paper.

dabhand16

Post by dabhand16 » Sat Jul 11, 2020 11:06 am

While the Sonys have impressive features, for me the nightmare menu system and the lack of uncompressed RAW files make me shy away from them.

After 20 odd years of shooting Nikon digital, compact, crop dSLR and full frame from the D700, when I was using a D810 I got the urge to find out what this mirrorless lark was all about. When the Fuji XT-1was first released I was struck by how much it resembled my first SLR, a Pentax SV bought around 1964 in Wallace Heaton in Fleet Street in London, close to where I was working. I've still got the thrupenny bit change from the £99,19 shillings and 9 pence I paid for it! So just on looks alone it had already registered in my mind. I also later thought that the Olympus system looked good.

So I decided to give it a go spending the smallest amount possible. I was looking at the Fuji XT-1 and Oly OMD-E-1 mk1 as the cheapest due to them being the oldest. Straight away the cost of the Oly ruled them out and reports of poor high ISO performance even at modest ISOs and my preference of bigger sensors narrowed my search. I have to say that I've seen lots of stunning pictures taken with the Olympus OM-D E1 mk2/3/x.

I found a mint XT-1 for £370 with only 7500 actuations and then needed a lens or two. Fuji XF lenses are superb and are also expensive. The build quality is first class and many are weatherproof too. Third party lenses have not been available as AFAIK Fuji have only licensed a few lenses to use their X mount. However, this year this has changed so third party lenses should be appearing fairly soon.

The XF 18-55 f2.8-4 has been rated as the best kit lens made and at a RRP of over £500 at the time in the UK where Nikon or Canon made their kit lenses to sell at about £150 or less. Used Fuji lenses are rear as most owners keep their lenses. So I got a white box one from my favourite Hong Kong supplier for £260. To get a longer lens without having to spend much I also got one of their budget range of lenses, an XC 50-230mm F4.5-6.3. These lenses have a plastic build but the optics are quite good. They are very light being plastic and the good ISO performance of the XT-1 allowed me to bump up the ISO to compensate for the slow aperture.

I loved this camera so much I sold it after 6 months, but only as I fell over an XT-2 (my first choice if the prices had been cheaper) that had been bought as a second camera and other than checking that it worked had been unused. It also came with a battery grip. The release of the XT-3 had now brought the XT-2 prices down so it is in my bag now. I later replaced the XC 50-230 with an XF 55-200 and was determined not to build a second system, so that was all I was going to get.

Today my XT-2 is my most used camera. I still regard my Nikons as my main system but only use them recently for model shoots and sports photography. That's not to say the Fuji could not do these genres, I just prefer it this way. Ive got a Nikon - Fuji mount converter so I can use any of my extensive range of Nikon lenses and I've also bought 2 Samyang manual focus lenses for the Fuji, an 85mm f1.8 and a 12mm F2. I'm also awaiting for the right deal on an XT-4 to come up and the funds are in place to get one. I'll probably keep the XT-2 though.

When I use the Fuji I miss some of what the Nikon (now a D850) offers me and when I use the Nikon I miss some of what the Fuji has. The Nikon kit is heavy and I'm not getting any younger, so I can see that eventually I'll switch to Fuji and sell my Nikon kit, but not for a long time.

dylanburgess

Post by dylanburgess » Sat Jul 11, 2020 5:19 pm

I don't find the Sony menu system a big problem. Also to simplify it I make my own menus, grouping together most used features.

As for the RAW, they do now have uncompressed.

I have heard a lot of good regarding the fuji system, but for my personal use and needs I felt the Sony my best option.

dabhand16

Post by dabhand16 » Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:59 am

dylanburgess wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 5:19 pm
I don't find the Sony menu system a big problem. Also to simplify it I make my own menus, grouping together most used features.

As for the RAW, they do now have uncompressed.

I have heard a lot of good regarding the fuji system, but for my personal use and needs I felt the Sony my best option.
Is the uncompressed RAW ca new feature? Is it on all models? Not saying that Sonys are no good - just that I'm not attracted to them.

When I'm asked by someone getting into photography 'what camera should I buy?' I always say get to a shop and look at several models in your price range. Look at the menu system and see how the settings are accessed and changed. You will probably find one brand will fit into your way of thinking and will sit comfortably into your hand and that is the one to buy.

Although I agree with Mike Browne when he says cameras are not important and won't affect you pictures themselves, it is with the caveat that different people will be more comfortable with different systems - and that is fine. Admittedly, it is a long time since I last held a Sony, but it just did not suit me.

Of course, if you are ingrained into a system like I am with Nikon it is harder to get to grips with a new one. It took me about 6 months to get settled into Fuji after 20 odd years shooting Nikon digital, and a further 6 months to get more fine tuned but I'm still not in the same instinctive position as I am when I use my Nikon.

Although I have small hands, I like big cameras. I find small cameras fiddly to use (still!) which is probably why I favoured the Fuji with the mechanical dials on the top plate that cam be changed without taking the camera from your eye. I also prefer physical buttons/dials to change things rather than menus.