A camera recommendation - DON'T Drop It

Do you have anything specific to say about any cameras or lenses? Or fancy recommending a really good one you have come across? Post in here
123Barso123

A camera recommendation - DON'T Drop It

Post by 123Barso123 » Sat Feb 18, 2017 6:56 pm

The title might seem like common sense if you observe safe practices, so mind you do.

Today I have said goodbye to my trusty Pentax K-S1 after knocking it off a bridge yesterday, yes a bridge, a railway one at that.
I was out yesterday close to home and wanted to get a few attempts at a moving train, I took my camera and 2 lenses a 16-85 and 70-300 to weigh up what would be best suited. The wall on top of bridge itself is just over 6 foot so I found a bit of wood to give me a leg up, I took a few with the short lens then changed to the zoom then back and forth until I decided to change for the last time. This time though instead of climbing down with camera and lens I removed the lens and left the camera on top of the wall, I grabbed the other lens then went to jump back up............sigh, as I got back up the wood slipped and I reached out for the bridge wall.......any guesses ? yes my hand knocked the camera off the top for a 25ft drop to the tracks below. My fault entirely.

That moment in your mind when there aren't enough swear words in the world. Anyway, camera landed on the ballast and must have caught the bridge as it went down, the flash housing was knocked off and the camera body itself had landed face down with a lump of dolomite inside the camera, the mirror assembly was completely smashed along with the flash. I tried the camera and it still turned on....Pentax build quality!

Today a friend of mine who actually repairs digitals has had a look and given me the news that I already thought, cost to repair far outweighs the cost of a replacement........bye bye Pentax, it's ended up in his parts bin.

I learned something yesterday, cameras come with straps for a reason ! All of you lot keep tight hold of yours.

tony-smith

Re: A camera recommendation - DON'T Drop It

Post by tony-smith » Sat Feb 18, 2017 8:50 pm

Ooops. Well done for climbing up onto a 6ft wall though :)

Not any consolation I know, but were there any decent shots on the card?

123Barso123

Post by 123Barso123 » Sat Feb 18, 2017 9:11 pm

tony-smith wrote:Ooops. Well done for climbing up onto a 6ft wall though :)

Not any consolation I know, but were there any decent shots on the card?
I tried the card but it was corrupted, 32gb sandisk in the bin too, battery is ok though.......just need another bloody Pentax body to put it in, at least the camera didn't go over with the 16-85 attached, then I would have felt a hanging coming on.

petermillar

Post by petermillar » Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:19 am

That reminds me ... insurance!

tomoswald

Post by tomoswald » Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:42 pm

ouch

SteJaBarn

Post by SteJaBarn » Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:48 pm

While I was in the Philippines, I was walking in knee high water near a waterfall, with my camera in hand. I slipped, camera fell in the water. Not just my camera but as I slipped and fell in, my camera bag....my canvas camera back...fell in with me. Everything wet, camera, lenses, SD cards, flash, everything.
Soon as I got back to the hotel...well, resort. I left my camera and lenses out to dry and the SD cards and flash. Placed them on a table in the sun. I had a few issues at first, but now, it seems to be fine and working, even the SD cards and flash. Seems my Nikon D7200 is fairly robust even the cheap Nikkor 35mm and Nikkor 55-300mm lenses survived, in the end. However, when I have time I will take my camera to an expert to check.

tomoswald

Post by tomoswald » Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:04 pm

I'll bet cheaper lenses actually are much more robust that stronger ones due to the laxer tolerances. This is one of the main reasons the Kalashnikov AK 47 is so versatile, it's basically so badly made that they're impossible to break

123Barso123

Post by 123Barso123 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:36 pm

tomoswald wrote:I'll bet cheaper lenses actually are much more robust that stronger ones due to the laxer tolerances. This is one of the main reasons the Kalashnikov AK 47 is so versatile, it's basically so badly made that they're impossible to break
Now just to find a Kalashnikov, modify it to take photos and accept Pentax fit lenses......then try dropping it off a bridge.

123Barso123

Post by 123Barso123 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:48 pm

SteJaBarn wrote:While I was in the Philippines, I was walking in knee high water near a waterfall, with my camera in hand. I slipped, camera fell in the water. Not just my camera but as I slipped and fell in, my camera bag....my canvas camera back...fell in with me. Everything wet, camera, lenses, SD cards, flash, everything.
Soon as I got back to the hotel...well, resort. I left my camera and lenses out to dry and the SD cards and flash. Placed them on a table in the sun. I had a few issues at first, but now, it seems to be fine and working, even the SD cards and flash. Seems my Nikon D7200 is fairly robust even the cheap Nikkor 35mm and Nikkor 55-300mm lenses survived, in the end. However, when I have time I will take my camera to an expert to check.
Good to hear it's still working although long term I would be a bit worried, water and electrickery bits never seem to get on well.

SteJaBarn

Post by SteJaBarn » Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:04 am

123Barso123 wrote:
SteJaBarn wrote:While I was in the Philippines, I was walking in knee high water near a waterfall, with my camera in hand. I slipped, camera fell in the water. Not just my camera but as I slipped and fell in, my camera bag....my canvas camera back...fell in with me. Everything wet, camera, lenses, SD cards, flash, everything.
Good to hear it's still working although long term I would be a bit worried, water and electrickery bits never seem to get on well.

That is my concern, which is why I want to get it checked by an expert. I do have insurance on it, so hopefully if anything is wrong I will be covered.