Ability to filter for new uploads.from people you are following?

Do you have an idea for the platform? Post it in here
AnitaLynne

Ability to filter for new uploads.from people you are following?

Post by AnitaLynne » Wed Dec 18, 2019 9:15 am

Is there a way to be able to see or filter for new uploads only from the people you are following.?
Or have I missed something?

I would love to be able to filter my feed, and/ or the explore feature to only show uploads from the people I am following
It would also be helpful if we could filter separately for the work they have liked or shared.
Currently my feed is populated with members all sharing the same pictures and it is time consuming and not that easy find the new uploads from members I follow. I don't have a lot of time to spend looking at everything in my feed and I am actually missing seeing their new uploads and thus the opportunity to like or comment on them.

tomoswald

Re: Ability to filter for new uploads.from people you are following?

Post by tomoswald » Wed Dec 18, 2019 9:17 am

There are currently no filter options for the feed but it will be something we consider when we turn our attention to that aspect if the site

AnitaLynne

Post by AnitaLynne » Wed Dec 18, 2019 9:32 am

Thanks Tom.

I was wondering if I had missed a setting somewhere.
When you can manage it, it will certainly help.

marius

Post by marius » Thu Dec 19, 2019 3:49 pm

Anita's observations are very true, sometimes the Feed page is overwhelmed with shares and re-shares and is difficult to spot new uploads.

tomoswald

Post by tomoswald » Thu Dec 19, 2019 4:36 pm

Should we stop people sharing their own photos?

AnitaLynne

Post by AnitaLynne » Thu Dec 19, 2019 5:21 pm

good question, Tom. At first I didn't share my own photos, thinking they would get seen anyway and it does seem odd to share your own photo when it should come up in your followers feed. However, I have shared my last few uploads and comments, likes and views have occurred faster than before.
I wonder if it is because the upload posts get lost in all the visual clutter of the feed.
If we were able to filter separately for uploads, likes, and comments I don't think we would need to share our own, but on the other hand it wouldn't matter if we did share since the viewer would be able to filter.
I have no idea if I'm making any sense!

Thinking further, if we could filter for uploads, comments and likes separately then yes, I think we should still be able to share our own photos.

tomoswald

Post by tomoswald » Thu Dec 19, 2019 5:48 pm

Unfortunately this is a very complex issue

AnitaLynne

Post by AnitaLynne » Thu Dec 19, 2019 6:43 pm

I guessed it would be, it's hard enough to explain in writing.

jezprime

Post by jezprime » Fri Dec 20, 2019 7:23 am

Tom - an alternative suggestion which I also think would reduce noise: could you limit the number of shares each user can have per day? That could reduce the noise quite a lot. I once had my notifications show that someone had shared about a hundred of my photos (I think all I'd uploaded at the time) in about as rapid succession as humanly possible, and that to me is just taking the proverbial.If feed filtering is complex, then forcing users to think about what photos they most want to share by imposing a limit seems to me to be a simpler alternative. And I would strongly recommend keeping that limit at or below 5 so everyone will have to think "Is this so good that I want this to be one of the 5 a day all my followers see?". I appreciate it would possibly annoy some, but I think there's a strong case for it.

A possibly helpful filter setting for Anita's proposal above would be not to show shares in your feed if you've already seen (or liked) the photo being shared. Like Anita, I'm keen that new uploads from people I follow should be more prominent in my feed than shares.

I've also noticed that, even at a quiet time, if you upload a photo, then look at your feed, it doesn't always show right at the top of the feed but is instead further down. I think this may be one of the reasons it's harder to find new uploads, because if someone refreshes their feed, new uploads are often further down than shares that actually happened before they were uploaded.

tomoswald

Post by tomoswald » Fri Dec 20, 2019 7:26 am

Some good ideas there Jeez. We'll consider them when we start work on the feed