ClickASnap Choice

Do you have an idea for the platform? Post it in here
TimHill

ClickASnap Choice

Post by TimHill » Sun May 17, 2020 2:51 pm

Hi Tom,

An Idea...

At one of the larger CC0 sites I post some images to, the very first page (home page) that a visitor sees is 'Editor's Choice', in other words they are seeing arguably the best images the site has to offer as a first impression. Now, I know this is not really what ClickASnap is about but curated eye candy on the opening page is always good.

Maybe 'ClickASnap Choice' / 'ClickASnap Picks' or words to that effect as a first tab to the left of 'Popular'?

This would need curating of course so I throw my hat in for free between my Tuesday to Friday day job or maybe a member of your team has time to do this on an as-and-when basis.

As an added bonus to the platform, people would aspire to and want to be chosen to be on this page, I would!

(but not the curator of course :D )

Just a thought...
Tim

tomoswald

Re: ClickASnap Choice

Post by tomoswald » Sun May 17, 2020 5:49 pm

Certainly an excellent idea Tim.

We've got a few major updates to bring out first though then we will revisit :)

wildcard

Post by wildcard » Fri May 22, 2020 7:57 am

A modelling photography website I'm a member of has a similar idea - Front Page Images. It becomes a goal to get FPI's and a badge is awarded for those successful images. Although I would question whether a curated selection decided upon by a small group is better than the 'most popular' as the personal tastes of the group will sway its contents whereas most popular surely better reflects the whole membership's preferences.

tomoswald

Post by tomoswald » Fri May 22, 2020 8:00 am

Yes, i'd be inclined to agree with Wildcard, plus it's not swayed subjectively by judges

TimHill

Post by TimHill » Fri May 22, 2020 3:12 pm

I fully understand what you both mean and you are right.

Popularity does not always mean a good shop window that will attract and retain photographers who are going to sell their work though, being popular and having loads of friends on the platform is superb of course but, for example, I could post up a badly taken image of a toilet on Facebook (not that I would) and have over 100 likes and 30 or 40 comments on it (before lockdown), because I have a lot of friends there, I'm not being big-headed of course, just getting a point across.

Ooh also, I have noticed at the start of each popular posts refresh, one person can take up most of the 'popular image' slots before things sort themself out and all resets again, which may not seem to be fair, an observation only of course. Does the 'popular posts' page have a set time of day to refresh or is this up to an admin Tom?

Who's to say who's right...

(P.s. I'm not a Facebook fan :roll: )
Last edited by TimHill on Fri May 22, 2020 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TimHill

Post by TimHill » Fri May 22, 2020 6:26 pm

To add to my above comment...

9 of the attached images in 'Popular' are from 1 photographer.

All credit to Gary for his lovely images and I really mean that!!
Attachments
popular.jpg
popular.jpg (136.01 KiB) Viewed 289 times

tomoswald

Post by tomoswald » Fri May 22, 2020 6:43 pm

Hi Tim

The popular positions update every 2 hours, but one photographer can get 1 image onto the front page which can rapidly spiral into all of their images, if like Gary above uploads great photos

I think this is quite an incentive to ensure only the best of your work is uploaded as one bad photo in the chain could stop this happening if you see what i mean

TimHill

Post by TimHill » Fri May 22, 2020 6:50 pm

I fully understand Tom and agree Gary deserves all of course.

What if I posted up 15 images of girls partially showing bottoms and bits but badly photographed?

I'm being negative now I know, we'll agree to disagree and If I didn't care I would not post of course. :D

tomoswald

Post by tomoswald » Fri May 22, 2020 7:00 pm

We'll have a look into it in a bit more detail once we've addressed the AMS by album and autoproduct creation system :)