AMS Twitter

Do you have an idea for the platform? Post it in here
dylanburgess

AMS Twitter

Post by dylanburgess » Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:02 am

Will start of by saying job well done for the changes to AMS to Twitter. Looks a lot better with some text above the link.

Now I am looking at my photos and thinking which ones I want to tweet, so started of creating an album just for this purpose. Easy and simple, gives me control over what goes out.

Next I am looking at the text/description. It is all good and fine when your description is quite short, it auto fills with hashtags...GREAT!

But if your description in a long one(something which is encouraged for SEO) it tends to cut off at rather inconvenient times...mid word/sentence.

Now twitter allows a max of 280 characters per tweet, but you have to remember the link takes up some of this allowance, so you will only be left with say 250 characters to play with. Would it be possible in future to have some way of putting a character counter when completing your description or even splitting the description into two sections as it were, a small box with what you would tweet and a larger with rest of description...your final post on CaS would show both together as full description, or something along these lines, maybe even just a different colour as you type your first 250 or so characters. I know it isn't a big issue, just want my tweets to look nice. Hope this all makes sense.

I am currently playing around with using an external text editor and copying into my CaS image description, which seems to work, but will see better after a few tweets go out.

I know you are focussed on bugs right now and rightly so. So maybe this is something for the future.

Also would like to hear others thoughts on this great new feature.

tomoswald

Re: AMS Twitter

Post by tomoswald » Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:38 am

Thanks Dylan

We are looking at shortening the description carried through to a tweet to 125 characters so you get half description and half hashtags. if people see a partial description they are more likely to click through to see the rest of the description and the photo. Whereas, if they can see all of it in their twitter feed, why bother to click through?

Also, you really want to keep long descriptions as this is what google indexes

As a side note, if an image is for sale i would add this at the beginning of a description eg

For sale - This kingfisher photo... etc etc

dylanburgess

Post by dylanburgess » Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:44 am

Cheers Tom for your swift reply as always.

Sounds good to me, think this slight refinement will be ideal. I will also have to look at the order of my hashtags next.

tomoswald

Post by tomoswald » Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:47 am

no problems

rtwbart

Post by rtwbart » Fri Jun 12, 2020 9:46 am

Thanks Tom the tweets look far better and are getting more views and engagement. The split between text and hashtags sounds good.

Still getting the odd 'no show' image on a tweet.

Just another thought. I'm unsure how this would be achieved but is it possible to increase the image size on the tweets? Over the years I've found I get far more engagement, especially retweets, with tweets that have larger images. Sites like Artpal and Fine Art America are examples of sites that do this, especially on new uploads or featured art of the day. Another bonus of a large image is that it then sits in your media section (top right images on your profile) and has a much longer shelf life. You can see examples on my account https://twitter.com/RTWBart

Thanks,

Richard

tomoswald

Post by tomoswald » Fri Jun 12, 2020 10:00 am

Yes this can be done. I will add it to our schedule

rtwbart

Post by rtwbart » Fri Jun 12, 2020 11:30 pm

Thanks Tom, that will be good!

Have a good weekend.

Richard

rtwbart

Post by rtwbart » Sat Jun 20, 2020 8:55 am

Tom,

Thought you might like to know that an AMS post on my twitter feed in the last hour had narrative nothing to do with one of my images. It was text that I had not written. It started "The view from St Catherine's Hill near....." but the tags were correct. Image is https://www.clickasnap.com/i/3zy4ixa9pbunuwud. I have deleted the tweet.

Many thanks,

Richard

tomoswald

Post by tomoswald » Sat Jun 20, 2020 9:56 am

Thanks Richard, if it happens again please screenshot the tweet so we can see what's happened

rtwbart

Post by rtwbart » Sun Jun 21, 2020 3:05 pm

Happened again. Mixing war memorial photo of mine with F1 driver doesn't look good! Will take down.

Will email you screenshot of tweet (11 hours ago)