Clickasnap Site updates 28/03/18

marius

Re: Clickasnap Site updates 28/03/18

Post by marius » Wed May 30, 2018 7:52 am

robbe76 wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 6:35 am
Images ARE still right click downloadable. Click the picture -> zoom it -> drag it to the address field -> the picture opens with a new address and now it's right click downloadable!
That's clever :-) Anyhow, images can never be 100% protected once they are on the internet, there's so many possibilities to copy them :-) I suppose that high-resolution images are available separately (as it happens with other sites). I proposed once to have a low-res image to display for general viewing and a high-res image for download with separate access, only on demand. I guess Tom knows better.

GadgetGaz

Post by GadgetGaz » Wed May 30, 2018 10:01 am

They are still 300dpi as well when downloaded either as stated above or just long clicking the photo on i-phone and save to the phone still 300dpi, even though much smaller dimensions than the originals of course.

I thought that with clickasnap and the web in general all images were resampled for screen viewing resolution 72dpi, maybe the site would run faster if photos were 72dpi screen resolution but still keeping the good viewing quality recently added, maybe thats a valid point but I guess not or else they wouldn't waste 3x the bandwidth with 300dpi images. A screen grab would always be possible anyway.

robbe76

Post by robbe76 » Wed May 30, 2018 1:11 pm

GadgetGaz wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 10:01 am
They are still 300dpi as well when downloaded either as stated above or just long clicking the photo on i-phone and save to the phone still 300dpi, even though much smaller dimensions than the originals of course.

I thought that with clickasnap and the web in general all images were resampled for screen viewing resolution 72dpi, maybe the site would run faster if photos were 72dpi screen resolution but still keeping the good viewing quality recently added, maybe thats a valid point but I guess not or else they wouldn't waste 3x the bandwidth with 300dpi images. A screen grab would always be possible anyway.
The 72dpi hasn't been relevant in many, many years since the displays have evolved far from the 72ppi resolution.

However, I think that the disabling of right clicking is useless if it's only purpose is to disable downloading. Right clicking and opening in another window was a good workaround to the annoyance when scrolling through e.g. the most recent pictures, clicking a picture to view it and going back to a completely random place in the recent picture list.

tomoswald

Post by tomoswald » Wed May 30, 2018 1:40 pm

Disabling right click is purely to placate the users who believe this stops downloading. There is no way of protecting images online but you cannot explain that to people unfortunately

GadgetGaz

Post by GadgetGaz » Wed May 30, 2018 8:12 pm

“Right clicking and opening in another window was a good workaround to the annoyance when scrolling through e.g. the most recent pictures, clicking a picture to view it and going back to a completely random place in the recent picture list.”

Re above: My work around at moment in the recent pictures list is Ctrl & left click opens that picture in a new tab, then close that tab and you’re back to the original tabs picture list and position, or command click on MAC I think.
Maybe that action should be default to open a picture in a new tab when left clicked.

tomoswald

Post by tomoswald » Wed May 30, 2018 8:36 pm

Interestingly, having just tried it, i can click on a picture in recently uploaded and when pressing the back button it does take me back to my original point in recently uploaded. If you’re running an adblocker or perhaps have cookie tracking turned off may be why it does not take you back to your original position

GadgetGaz

Post by GadgetGaz » Wed May 30, 2018 9:27 pm

It works ok for a small scroll down, after clicking view all, then scrolling for quite a way down several pages 4-5 pages worth, it returns to say where the end of page 1 or 2 would be and not page 5 where the photo would be of the position you wanted to return to, then you have to scroll down a few pages still to where you were.

thats how it is for me anyway

hpbirkeland

Post by hpbirkeland » Wed May 30, 2018 10:26 pm

robbe76 wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 6:35 am
Images ARE still right click downloadable. Click the picture -> zoom it -> drag it to the address field -> the picture opens with a new address and now it's right click downloadable!
That's also a workaround to view images in proper full screen. After opening the image with a new address, press F11 and you have the image with only a nice dark border around it.