Picture quality

Don't know how to do something? Check here first
tomoswald

Re: Picture quality

Post by tomoswald » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:20 pm

We are launching some new image navigation technology later in the year. We’ll do some further refinement of the Trueform tech at the same time

123Barso123

Post by 123Barso123 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:45 pm

JonC wrote: ↑
Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:14 pm

I do really like this site but I have found some images look terrible on CAS.
I hear you on that, I think the word some is correct, but why just some and not all at high ISO ?
An example : ten years ago any camera at base ISO would give you some noise, some were worse than others so you were reliant on the likes of Noise Ninja and Neat Image to clean things and you would accept some noise on a final image, move forward to today and any decent dslr should be good to 6400 or even 25,600.....maybe that's pushing it a bit but some can hold it down. It all comes down to the software to handle the noise, different makes do things differently and produce different results. I'm just wondering as it's just some images that are affected (a very small number) whether there is a link between them, some common denominator that could explain it as I remember it happening to a small number before Trueform was introduced. Could it be down to a specific make, or something in the file make up, the exif, there has to be a trigger that makes this happen to only a few.

tomoswald

Post by tomoswald » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:08 am

I do wonder if it’s camera quality actually. I uploaded a 30 second exposure ISO 3,2000 photo and saw no grain upon upload completion. A friend of mine has anold 5D and replicating the photo with hers led to a grainer image

JonC

Post by JonC » Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:51 am

I don't see how it would be the camera. I Regularly take high ISO photos over 5,000. Although at those high ISOs I get some noise I can clear it up fairly easily. I take all my shots in RAW and process them in Photoshop Elements saving them at the best quality jpeg.
This particular shot was only on 800. I don't even think of 800 as being a high ISO with my camera (Nikon D500) and I don't generally need to apply any noise reduction at all at that level. As I said, it's fine on any other viewer at any size.

tomoswald

Post by tomoswald » Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:38 pm

Well either way we’ll spend some time looking into it when we bring out the new image nav tech

JonC

Post by JonC » Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:36 pm

Thanks.

I appreciate you taking the time to look at this.

PetesPhotos

Post by PetesPhotos » Tue Feb 27, 2018 3:05 pm

Hi Guys,

Im new here, and just been reading about the grain. It is only on CAS that this is happening. I have noticed a few of mine look awful on here but fine on other sites. This isnt a grain from high ISO settings issue. I am finding so far that it is the landscape shots which have a lot of tiny detail in that are effected badly.

neilfrisby

Post by neilfrisby » Sun May 06, 2018 11:55 am

I too have been having the same problems with picture quality on Clickasnap.
I have found that some images that I have uploaded at full size are very grainy on this site only, I have also noticed that lately the images are coming out very dark and colourless.
The grain issue seems to be solved by uploading a smaller size, I found that uploading at 2048 px on the long edge produced much less grain.
I have not yet looked into the colour issue but it is definitely an issue with Clickasnap only! I upload to Instagram, Flickr, 500px and Facebook and have only had problems with Instagram so far as limited file size which has never ruined the quality of the uploaded image.
I have uploaded 4 images of a Jay on my page, 2 are the full size grainy files and 2 are the smaller Files. Feel free to see for yourself.

All the best
Neil.

tomoswald

Post by tomoswald » Sun May 06, 2018 11:59 am

I can see some grain on the thumbnail but the full size image looks fine here Neil

The thumbnail can be adjusted by using the trueform tech on the edit picture page fyi

neilfrisby

Post by neilfrisby » Sun May 06, 2018 12:28 pm

Hi Tom, Yes I give you that on pics 3-4 but what about 1-2?
Also what about the lack of colour and vibrancy that is missing from the images?
Have a look at the same images on the other sites and you will see the difference.