Google Makes Its $149 Photo Editing Software Now Completely Free to Download

Discuss anything you like here
rangewoman_inc

Post by rangewoman_inc » Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:26 pm

I hope I'm using the correct folder. A friend of mine (photographer) on Facebook just sent me this:

About: Open Culture offers free/public domain tutorials on just about anything, ebooks, audio, movies and SOFTWARE.

According to the Open Culture site, this photo editing software is available for Windows and Apple. It can be used as a stand-alone or with Adobe Photoshop. I don't know about Lightroom. Also, the site has a link to the tutorials on YouTube.

Here you can read Google’s announcement, which includes more information on the software package and its capabilities.

Today we’re making the Nik Collection available to everyone, for free.

Photo enthusiasts all over the world use the Nik Collection to get the best out of their images every day. As we continue to focus our long-term investments in building incredible photo editing tools for mobile, including Google Photos and Snapseed, we’ve decided to make the Nik Collection desktop suite available for free, so that now anyone can use it.

The Nik Collection is comprised of seven desktop plug-ins that provide a powerful range of photo editing capabilities — from filter applications that improve color correction, to retouching and creative effects, to image sharpening that brings out all the hidden details, to the ability to make adjustments to the color and tonality of images.

Starting March 24, 2016, the latest Nik Collection will be freely available to download: Analog Efex Pro, Color Efex Pro, Silver Efex Pro, Viveza, HDR Efex Pro, Sharpener Pro and Dfine. If you purchased the Nik Collection in 2016, you will receive a full refund, which we’ll automatically issue back to you in the coming days.

We’re excited to bring the powerful photo editing tools once only used by professionals to even more people now.

And, just in case you want out some animation software — check out this article:

Software Used by Hayao Miyazaki’s Animation Studio Becomes Open Source & Free to Download

http://www.openculture.com/2016/03/soft ... nload.html

tomoswald

Re: Google Makes Its $149 Photo Editing Software Now Completely Free to Download

Post by tomoswald » Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:43 pm

Cool
You should share the link in your feed to tell your followers

bobrichards

Re: Google Makes Its $149 Photo Editing Software Now Completely Free to Download

Post by bobrichards » Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:34 pm

NIK Collection has been a free download for nearly 2 years now so this is not exactly hot news - but certainly something people should download as it's a cool piece of software, free of charge

MarcinKoscielny

Post by MarcinKoscielny » Thu May 11, 2017 8:15 pm

Just installed it and tested the Nik Dfine 2.0. I think it's fantastic. All it lacks is contrast compensation of the sort that Topaz has. I've just used on this picture and I think it preserved a lot of details.
https://www.clickasnap.com/i/g6r0w3h0za3oyfxt

ackhoo

Post by ackhoo » Wed May 24, 2017 1:06 pm

rangewoman_inc wrote:I hope I'm using the correct folder. A friend of mine (photographer) on Facebook just sent me this:

About: Open Culture offers free/public domain tutorials on just about anything, ebooks, audio, movies and SOFTWARE.

According to the Open Culture site, this photo editing software is available for Windows and Apple. It can be used as a stand-alone or with Adobe Photoshop. I don't know about Lightroom. Also, the site has a link to the tutorials on YouTube.

Here you can read Google’s announcement, which includes more information on the software package and its capabilities.

Photo enthusiasts all over the world use the Nik Collection to get the best out of their images every day. As we continue to focus our long-term investments in building incredible photo editing tools for mobile, including Google Photos and Snapseed, we’ve decided to make the Nik Collection desktop suite available for free, so that now anyone can use it.

The Nik Collection is comprised of seven desktop plug-ins that provide a powerful range of photo editing capabilities — from filter applications that improve color correction, to retouching and creative effects, to image sharpening that brings out all the hidden details, to the ability to make adjustments to the color and tonality of images.

Starting March 24, 2016, the latest Nik Collection will be freely available to download: Analog Efex Pro, Color Efex Pro, Silver Efex Pro, Viveza, HDR Efex Pro, Sharpener Pro and Dfine. If you purchased the Nik Collection in 2016, you will receive a full refund, which we’ll automatically issue back to you in the coming days.

We’re excited to bring the powerful photo editing tools once only used by professionals to even more people now.

And, just in case you want out some animation software — check out this article:

Software Used by Hayao Miyazaki’s Animation Studio Becomes Open Source & Free to Download

Hi Rowan,

This is a wonderful find! I've been using a simple picasa photo editing facility which after checking this out, my picasa is probably only a fraction of the capabilities of this. I checked out the tutorials & the range is fantastic! Thank you for sharing this!! :P

lacho0159

Post by lacho0159 » Thu May 25, 2017 10:58 am

rangewoman_inc wrote:I hope I'm using the correct folder. A friend of mine (photographer) on Facebook just sent me this:

Hello. I use Ligthroom and am happy. But I'll do that too. Thanks.

123Barso123

Post by 123Barso123 » Thu May 25, 2017 11:55 am

Well worth the effort to learn it and combine it with PS, DXO, Rawtherapee and Capture 1 etc