Discuss anything you like here
stevenjacobs

Re: Sensor cleaning

Postby stevenjacobs » Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:07 pm

Thanks for the info. : )
stevenjacobs

Postby stevenjacobs » Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:45 pm

I find it amazing that only two of us clean the sensors in our cameras ourselves. I get the impression this random chat room is a relatively new feature as few people seem to engage on topics.
tomoswald

Postby tomoswald » Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:06 pm

I've never even thought of cleaning my sensor myself.

This is relatively new, many choose not to engage in forum chats though
tony-smith

Postby tony-smith » Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:29 pm

So far, I've not needed to clean my sensor. I try my best (as I'm sure most do) not to get dust in there in the first place. Only remove a lens when necessary and when I do, I always angle both camera & lens open parts downwards to do my best to avoid any dust particles falling into the camera or lens. If I stand a lens or camera down when not attached to each other, again I always angle the open areas downwards.
keithboone

Postby keithboone » Thu Jan 26, 2017 4:49 pm

I've cleaned the sensor on my camera many times, it isn't difficult or particularly dangerous... watch some youtube videos on how it's done. I watched a lot of different videos, and was very nervous the first time I tried but I've never had a problem.
stevenjacobs

Postby stevenjacobs » Thu Jan 26, 2017 5:13 pm

I admit, when the salesperson first told me rubbing this lens pen on the sensor was a safe cleaning method, well I was skeptical. But when the need arose I did clean it and found it worked easily and quite well.
MarcinKoscielny

Postby MarcinKoscielny » Wed May 03, 2017 4:05 am

I don't use any of the gimmicks. You can clean your sensor and with basic stuff that's almost free.
1. isopropyl aka rubbing alcohol
2. lens cleaning paper also known as lens tissues
3. an old credit card, business card or some other flat piece of plastic.

Firstly, research the size of your sensor. Cut the credit card to one of the lengths you researched. Soak a piece of lens paper in rubbing alcohol. Wrap it around the plastic piece. Wipe the sensor gently. Then move the tissue a few milimeters up the piece of plastic and wipe it again. Repeat untill you're satisfied.

The art of cleaning with optical paper is in using it once. Once it catches some dirt it shouldn't touch anything again.

Return to “General Chat”