New site announcement

dylanburgess

Re: New site announcement

Post by dylanburgess » Sat Apr 02, 2022 7:32 pm

The ability to refine my own feed and what I see in it....I want to follow some users as they post decent stuff, so want to see there new uploads, but don't want to see the mountain of shit some share to get attention for there uploads(yeah still to many share for share imo, click circle whatever you want to call it).

A clear defined homepage and how/why an image gets displayed there...currently just seems to be same images/users day in day out.

AMS that users can fine tune...generic posts don't work.

A way for people to communicate on the platform and for the platform to communicate to users, we don't all use the same social media, so why not set up a space for this?

EXIF data that works.

Ability to curate our own albums...image order and whilst on about albums....private albums

A proper robust search/explore function.

Stop logging me out!!!!! this is really starting to get on my nerves and to be honest after a couple times I don't bother to log back in at that time.

A decent shop...ability to set price using a percentage mark up, able to offer discounts through a code, run special promotions(2-4-1, buy 1 get 1 half price etc)

Sure I will add more when I think of something.....

dabhand16

Post by dabhand16 » Sat Apr 02, 2022 10:08 pm

I agree with Dylan and would highlight direct communication between members as something that everyone wants. Also the feed filter.

The ability to be able to use the web storage for images independant of my profile and to add them to my profile if I want to.

The ability to rearrange profile images as you can the subject catrgories. Users could have the same options as the catrgories, members own profiles all of those plus the ability to reverse the order and move individual images up and down the order.

A prominent button on image pages "show other images by this member" would be more eye catching than the profile button.

A floating vew/edit/delete/add to album/add product box in he uploads page and add tags added.

stevehphotos

Post by stevehphotos » Sat Apr 02, 2022 11:23 pm

Hi Tom, I am glad to hear that things will be finally moving forward as I know you have been busy promoting the site from the various interviews I have been reading online recently. Just a shame that you seem to have been fleeced by the old developers and it has cost so much money!

I agree with Dylan, especially regarding the shop and the ability to set a percentage mark-up that gets added to all images and products rather than the system in place now.

Being constantly logged out is a right pain in the bum and after a while, I just leave the site as I can't be bothered to continually log back in.

It was mentioned before that the View, Edit, Delete and add to an album on the user's uploads page would float and move down when the page is scrolled down, I think this is essential as when you have over 1000 images on the site and wish to edit them it's almost impossible and VERY time-consuming.

I was under the impression that when exploring 'recent photos' under the member's photos tab the free uploads wouldn't be shown as many of these are very substandard IMO.

I will put my thinking cap on and I am sure I will come up with more stuff soon.

Steve

dylanburgess wrote:
Sat Apr 02, 2022 7:32 pm
The ability to refine my own feed and what I see in it....I want to follow some users as they post decent stuff, so want to see there new uploads, but don't want to see the mountain of shit some share to get attention for there uploads(yeah still to many share for share imo, click circle whatever you want to call it).

A clear defined homepage and how/why an image gets displayed there...currently just seems to be same images/users day in day out.

AMS that users can fine tune...generic posts don't work.

A way for people to communicate on the platform and for the platform to communicate to users, we don't all use the same social media, so why not set up a space for this?

EXIF data that works.

Ability to curate our own albums...image order and whilst on about albums....private albums

A proper robust search/explore function.

Stop logging me out!!!!! this is really starting to get on my nerves and to be honest after a couple times I don't bother to log back in at that time.

A decent shop...ability to set price using a percentage mark up, able to offer discounts through a code, run special promotions(2-4-1, buy 1 get 1 half price etc)

Sure I will add more when I think of something.....

dylanburgess

Post by dylanburgess » Sun Apr 03, 2022 12:27 am

I agree with Dylan and would highlight direct communication between members as something that everyone wants. Also the feed filter.
The ability to be able to use the web storage for images independant of my profile and to add them to my profile if I want to.
I like this idea, makes it a real cloud storage option.
The ability to rearrange profile images as you can the subject catrgories. Users could have the same options as the catrgories, members own profiles all of those plus the ability to reverse the order and move individual images up and down the order.
Think this is the ability to curate ones own albums/work?
It was mentioned before that the View, Edit, Delete and add to an album on the user's uploads page would float and move down when the page is scrolled down, I think this is essential as when you have over 1000 images on the site and wish to edit them it's almost impossible and VERY time-consuming.
Forgot about this in my initial rant!!! 100% need this...

Now I have had time to think and ponder.....

How about a system in place so that you can only like an image once you have clicked to view it full screen(not on the feed) and 5 seconds have past?? So a like is an actual paid view?? Also on top of this you CANNOT share an image until this pre-requisite has been met?? Will get rid of constant meaningless likes and shares....if you want to like/share you have to give up the "golden" 5 seconds??

I honestly believe you have to try and get users of CaS out of the habit of other social media platforms that offer instant gratification, why NOT become the place for photographers to showcase their work??(Flickr+500px are going through a rough patch, why not seize the opportunity) What is wrong with slowing things down? I would honestly prefer a slower browse through better work/images than the constant non-stop scroll of other platforms.

I am looking for somewhere to display and promote my work...I got another six months to consider how I do this.... ;)

dabhand16

Post by dabhand16 » Sun Apr 03, 2022 8:31 am

dylanburgess wrote:
Sun Apr 03, 2022 12:27 am
How about a system in place so that you can only like an image once you have clicked to view it full screen(not on the feed) and 5 seconds have past?? So a like is an actual paid view?? Also on top of this you CANNOT share an image until this pre-requisite has been met?? Will get rid of constant meaningless likes and shares....if you want to like/share you have to give up the "golden" 5 seconds??

I honestly believe you have to try and get users of CaS out of the habit of other social media platforms that offer instant gratification, why NOT become the place for photographers to showcase their work??(Flickr+500px are going through a rough patch, why not seize the opportunity) What is wrong with slowing things down? I would honestly prefer a slower browse through better work/images than the constant non-stop scroll of other platforms.
Nice one Dylan! It would also deter the click circles. Even a halfway point of unable to like unless the image is opened would be better than what we have now, or just turning off likes from the feed.

tomoswald

Post by tomoswald » Sun Apr 03, 2022 10:22 am

People spam like and comment on images for attention as we all know. This will stop once rate limiting is brought in. As an example a user likes/comments on 10 images in 10 seconds this would be defined as spam therefore the user would be blocked from liking or commenting on images for one hour, second time they do it 24 hours, third time a week and so on this should then rapidly bring value back to the comments and likes. The existing site simply doesn’t have the tech to be able to do this hence why it happens

dylanburgess

Post by dylanburgess » Tue Apr 05, 2022 10:30 pm

Knew I would be back ;)

The ability to schedule uploads, I can't always upload as often as I would like or at the best time of day, so would be great if I could do a batch upload and choose when to post each.

tomoswald

Post by tomoswald » Wed Apr 06, 2022 7:22 am

That’s a good idea

kishorpatel

Post by kishorpatel » Mon Apr 18, 2022 7:10 am

Need of the app is been discussed a lot in this forum and it was turned down with various reasons. One the reason was "ad revenue for mobile apps is 10% of browser revenue. This means views made within a mobile app would have a significantly lower value than those made via a browser". If this is still true, will we see any decrement in pay per view once we have mobile app ?

In past, we discussed all good reasons to not have app, What are the good reasons for working on app now ?

tomoswald

Post by tomoswald » Mon Apr 18, 2022 7:38 am

We plan to have an app. The new site is being built in React.JS which means it can be easily converted into a mobile app. However, yes, unfortunately due to much lower revenue per ad on mobile, views made via an app will have a lower value. What that value is we won’t really know until we actually have the system live. But between 10 and 20% of existing view payments would be a good rule of thumb