Straight out of the camera.

Discuss anything you like here
timkit

Straight out of the camera.

Post by timkit » Tue May 01, 2018 10:04 am

Just wondered if other people like me still use a lot of images, straight out of the Camera.
I myself am now getting on in years and it's not easy to be slaving over a computer trying to be creative on Photoshop or similar, re hands, and other physical issues etc, although I do to a certain degree.
Also, even modern budget level Cameras these days are very capable of producing great images straight out of the camera.

In addition I have just sold my Canon DSLR gear because I'm finding the weight a problem so the Camera doesn't get taken out much.
I'm thinking of investing in a mirrorless system which is much lighter. Better to do that than give up I think!

Does anyone share my point of view or have something to say?

Tim

bobedwards

Re: Straight out of the camera.

Post by bobedwards » Tue May 01, 2018 10:19 am

I agree that modern digital cameras produce images that are perfectly usable straight from camera, however I only ever shoot RAW so some amount of post processing is required. Having said that I post process in Lightroom and almost always use the same workflow for every image so it is a relatively painless process for me to produce a final image. My rationale for shooting RAW is that it gives me the ability to dodge and burn to get the highlights and shadows as close as possible to what I saw when taking the image photographs straight out of camera usually have dark shadows or excessive highlights that don't look natural.

tomoswald

Post by tomoswald » Tue May 01, 2018 2:37 pm

I personally do very little editing of my pictures, i’ve always likes the thought of capturing everything you see in camera like back in the film days

bobedwards

Post by bobedwards » Wed May 02, 2018 1:08 am

tomoswald wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 2:37 pm
I personally do very little editing of my pictures, i’ve always likes the thought of capturing everything you see in camera like back in the film days
Even in those days though Tom the photographs were still post processed, with dodging and burning and colour correction done by the lab before they sent them back to you. Now we can shoot jpegs and let the camera do the work.

callmemom

Post by callmemom » Wed May 02, 2018 6:33 am

I like it a lot when the image in the camera looks the way I saw it when I took it, but that is kind of the challenge isn't it? (Or at least it is for me.)
That said, it depends on the photo. Most of the time, if I adjust an image, it is only to make it look how I thought it looked when I took it, but, as I get more comfortable with Lightroom, I will often take a blah photo and play with it just to see how it will look if I do this or that. Sometimes those turn out very nicely. And sometimes they just stay blah. :lol:
I'm having fun and learning new things.

Do let me know how your mirrorless works out, though. I know what you mean about the weight of the canon. And I know it more every day, it seems. :roll:

timkit

Post by timkit » Wed May 02, 2018 9:40 am

I am really pleased at the responses you have all given, this is a first time for me using a Forum etc.
I must admit if I do any editing, it is with some basic freebie software.
The thought of Photoshop scares me a little and I get the impression that Lightroom would be a little easier to use?
Tim

bobedwards

Post by bobedwards » Wed May 02, 2018 3:12 pm

timkit wrote:
Wed May 02, 2018 9:40 am
I am really pleased at the responses you have all given, this is a first time for me using a Forum etc.
I must admit if I do any editing, it is with some basic freebie software.
The thought of Photoshop scares me a little and I get the impression that Lightroom would be a little easier to use?
Tim
Lightroom is an excellent program and easy to use once you get your head around it, Mike Brown has a Lightroom course available on his site https://www.photographycourses.biz/cour ... ghtroom-cc

I've never liked shooting jpeg images with the camera simply because the camera decides what the finished image is going to look like, not me.

tomoswald

Post by tomoswald » Wed May 02, 2018 3:34 pm

We have quite a few lightroom and photoshop tutorials on the blog

lauracaptain

Post by lauracaptain » Thu May 03, 2018 10:59 pm

Hi Tim and Hi BobEdwards.
Here's my 2 cents, LOL. If I'm just taking snapshots I usually use my camera phone and I will post those photos straight from my phone. If I'm being serious and wanting to take nice photos then I use one of my DSLR cameras and shoot in raw or maybe even high quality jpg, I prefer raw for the flexibility.

I have limited software editing skills and little patience for editing but I'm currently taking a course from Mike Browne to get a good grasp and foundation in Adobe Lightroom. The course is great by the way and Lightroom is amazing software for organizing and finding your photos, not to mention editing them but that refers to the class Bob posted a link for. This is the class I'm currently taking and it deals with learning your way around Lightroom and the things it can help you do. https://www.photographycourses.biz/cour ... m-workflow

I'm of the mind that I like to try to take the best picture possible in camera and only do minimal editing if necessary. But, like a lot of things, there is usually room for improvement. I do edits like straighten horizons, brighten or darken a photo, remove rubbish, increase or decrease saturation and that's about it. Just to clean things up a little when needed. I have also been playing around in Adobe Photoshop and like that software as well. But there are a lot of great software options out there and like you said, some are free.

Don't forget about the lightroom and photoshop tutorials on the ClickASnap blog that Tom mentioned.

timkit

Post by timkit » Fri May 04, 2018 11:58 am

Thank you Laura, maybe I need to be a little braver and shoot some Raw, after maybe acquiring lightroom.
But I still need to keep my PC time down to a minimum because of some pain issues I have.
It is nice at my age though to keep learning new things.
I am thinking now I have sold my Canon gear, I may get a Fujifilm XT 20 etc.
It's a nice camera and so much lighter!!
Tim