POLL: Should images have black borders

Discuss anything you like here

Should we add black borders around the images?

Yes
7%
No
21%
User selectable
71%

Total votes: 14

tomoswald

POLL: Should images have black borders

Post by tomoswald » Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:25 am

Should we change the border around images from white to black?

claviger

Re: POLL: Should images have black borders

Post by claviger » Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:46 pm

Can we have an example before choosing Tom?

tomoswald

Post by tomoswald » Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:14 pm

I can’t get it built but it would be similar to Flickr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/tailupora ... ed-public/

claviger

Post by claviger » Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:14 pm

ah ok thanks. I thought you meant like a mount round a framed picture. To me that flickr image is a background colour not a border.

It probably depends on the image a lot in my view.

frankstyburski

Post by frankstyburski » Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:29 am

I'm not quite sure what you mean by a border, Tom.
I went to Flickr to look at some pictures, and they don't have a border until you click on them. Then, the image floats in a black background.
Not really a border.

I always put a thin black border around my pictures, for several reasons.

1) In the old days of printing from negatives, the film carriers usually cropped into the image slightly. You could move the film a round a little to compensate for composition and crooked horizons. BUt you weren't truly seeing a full frame image. Even today, if you have your images printed as a 4X6" print, there is a little cropping.

There were two solutions to the matter. Some photographers would file out their carriers a little to reveal the transparent edges of their film. The second solution was to use a glass carrier. Both solutions printed the transparent edges as a thin black border around the image. The black border indicated that you were looking at the uncropped image, as it was exposed in the camera.

Sometimes, circumstances, or technology require me to crop an image to present it as I intended. While I will occasionally crop an image, I still put a black border around it, to define what I consider to be a full frame image, as I want to see it.

2) In the old days, photographic paper was held in place during the exposure by an easel,- sort of a picture frame that covered the edges and created a crisp white border all around the picture. It was O.K., but white was not the best color for "containing" the image. Your eye would wander off the edges. A black border is a better device to keep your attention on the image. It makes for a stronger image because of the trick it plays on your eyes.

3) When I incorporate a black border into my images, I can quickly tell if it is being presented as I intended, or if it has been cropped.

I get it that this device is also a matter of personal preference, and it may not be for everyone, like watermarks, and copyright information. So,if by a black border, you mean the the type that I use, I would allow the user to choose on a image by image basis. If you are thinking about a black background, it might negatively affect the appearance of images with darker subjects. In this case, I would use a white background as the default, and include a button to switch it to black.

Thanks for bringing up the issue, Tom. It certainly does require some consideration.

tomoswald

Post by tomoswald » Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:13 am

Thanks for the feedback Frank, and for sone interesting information