What's with the term, "capture"?

Discuss anything you like here
frankstyburski

What's with the term, "capture"?

Post by frankstyburski » Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:52 am

Often, comments about my pictures refer to them as "Captures"?
Is this a recent term in the context of photography?

To me,it implies that the impact of an image begins and ends at the moment of exposure, and nothing in its making of relies on intent, vision, or creative decisions before, during or after the exposure.

While some of us place a lot of importance on photographing a situation, and rendering it as faithfully as possible. Some of us, however, do not think of ourselves as documentary photographers. We consider the most impactful perspective, framing, exposure and depth of field. We don't mind taking liberties with what we see, to create an image in the way we want to see it. We tinker with color, values, shapes and other elements.

So please!!!!! Don't call our work, "CAPTURES".

Thanks.

tomoswald

Re: What's with the term, "capture"?

Post by tomoswald » Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:25 am

I am guilty of this myself, but the reason why i call it a capture is because i look at it as capturing a moment in time

frankstyburski

Post by frankstyburski » Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:20 am

I suppose that there is validity in your use the term. If you are photographing an event, or a news item that is unique in time, you are capturing the moment. I'm not sure that it applies to the landscape photographer, someone who shoots architecture, or the work that I do. It relies much more on intent, deliberation, and processing the image in post. The moment of capture on a sensor, is only one step in the process of image making.

Jaime

Post by Jaime » Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:42 pm

If we are getting complicated with the terminology in the comments, then I will be in trouble, because English is not my main language, I describe photos on the best why that I can found in the way of not being repetitive. But in this case, I just will stop commenting on this user and if that became a problem then I just leave CAS for people with better knowledge. Capture I use a lot because, as other people just said, we capture the moment to keep it on our library for future use.

gjesdal

Post by gjesdal » Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:14 am

If you had reacted to the word "snap" or if anyone said, "you were lucky with that one" when luck had absolutely nothing with it, I could have understood your pain.
Edit: .but again both "Click" and "Snap" is in the title of this site so really :-)
just because your offended doesn't mean your right
- Ricky Gervais

There is a person I've come across that use this line to comment on every single photo he/she comes across "best photo I've ever seen"
One could get annoyed by that or be thankful for the person took time to comment. Comment = more interaction = more exposure

This complaint of yours is, in my view, not only wrong, but might leads to fewer comments if people will be hesitant to do so.

frankstyburski

Post by frankstyburski » Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:04 am

I'm sorry, guys. I didn't intend to seem petty about the way I approach my work.
I understand that all comments on this site are well intentioned, and complimentary.
And I'm not offended by the term, "capture".

I tried to be polite and tactful in my original post.
My intention was to partly generate some interesting conversation about the various approaches we take to making pictures.
It backfired.
I didn't expect anyone to take offense. For that, I am sorry.
I didn't expect so much criticism, either. I am sorry about that as well.
I won't post anything in the forum in the future.