Cheap prints

Discuss anything you like here
tomoswald

Cheap prints

Post by tomoswald » Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:34 pm

We're thinking of introducing a cheap print service where photographic prints would be ~£0.15 pence each. Would there be interest in this?

kenmcdougalphoto

Re: Cheap prints

Post by kenmcdougalphoto » Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:22 am

I don't think this would be a good idea. If you start offering a "cheap prints" section, potential customers would start gravitating towards it and away from other photographers work who sell quality, Fine Art photos. I feel it would just de-value photographer's work. I understand that people are always looking for a "deal" when they purchase something but photographers want to be paid what they feel their work is worth. There is already a mindset attack among people who buy photos and fine art that photographers are not really true"artists" and that all we do is see a pretty picture and click a shutter button. This of course is not true. There is a lot more that goes into creating a beautiful fine art photographic piece than just clicking a shutter button. Just my thoughts but personally, if you did offer it, I wouldn't participate in it. I've been shooting Professionally for over 20 years and the only thing I offer on this platform that is "cheap" are digital downloads at 3 pounds each. My print work sells at a quality price because I feel it is quality Fine Art Photography work and worth paying for.

tomoswald

Post by tomoswald » Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:46 am

Hi Ken, some good points and they're taken on board

kenmcdougalphoto

Post by kenmcdougalphoto » Tue Oct 22, 2019 4:27 pm

tomoswald wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:46 am
Hi Ken, some good points and they're taken on board
Thanks Tom. Not trying to be negative. I'm just a realist and can only base my thoughts and opinions on my past experiences.

Ken :)

tomoswald

Post by tomoswald » Tue Oct 22, 2019 4:30 pm

To be honest the idea is cheap prints to the photographers. They can still set the prices to whatever they wish :)

kenmcdougalphoto

Post by kenmcdougalphoto » Tue Oct 22, 2019 4:52 pm

tomoswald wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 4:30 pm
To be honest the idea is cheap prints to the photographers. They can still set the prices to whatever they wish :)
Oh ok. I see what you mean. Kind of like offering photographers their own work at a discount price? If that's the case I could see that working for photographers locally in your neck of the woods but I'm not sure if that would work for someone like me who lives in Oregon in the USA. I can imagine the shipping costs would be extremely expensive coming from the UK to the US.

tomoswald

Post by tomoswald » Tue Oct 22, 2019 5:12 pm

We would have a US based provider too Ken :)

kenmcdougalphoto

Post by kenmcdougalphoto » Tue Oct 22, 2019 6:34 pm

tomoswald wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 5:12 pm
We would have a US based provider too Ken :)
Cool! :)

roobarb

Post by roobarb » Fri Feb 07, 2020 9:05 pm

If it's cheap because of volume buying potential with the printer then yes. If it's cheap because quality is lowered, then I'm reminded of a sign on one of my customers' walls: "Good work ain't cheap, cheap work ain't good"