What started you on your road to photography?

Discuss anything you like here
TimHill

What started you on your road to photography?

Post by TimHill » Thu Jun 04, 2020 4:36 pm

It does not matter what you photograph, what camera you photograph with or how good you are at capturing your subject; we are all photographers...

What started you on your way and when?

JLowPhotos

Re: What started you on your road to photography?

Post by JLowPhotos » Fri Jun 05, 2020 3:35 pm

It was when as a kid my parents bought me a 24mms film camera. I'll always remember it as to move to the next frame on the film you had to push in one side and pull it back out.

TimHill

Post by TimHill » Fri Jun 05, 2020 3:49 pm

I remember winding the film on and choosing different ISO for light or dark but other than that film cameras passed me by.

Back in 2012 I was using a very cheap point and shoot digital camera that I bought from Aldi, I think it was one of their Thursday star buys :lol:

I took the camera on Holiday for the weekend to Whitby with my other half, while most were in bed I had the harbour area to myself at early-o-clock on Saturday morning. I snapped a few images off then noticed what I now know as beautiful defused light around the cliffs with the sun just in the right place in the sky. I framed up the shot as best I could and clicked off a horribly grainy but perfect rules of thirds and leading lines image without even knowing what they were, despite the quality I was so pleased with the image, I was hooked.

Soon after came my first DSLR a Nikon D3200, the camera is long gone but I still have fond memories.
Last edited by TimHill on Sat Jun 06, 2020 12:58 pm, edited 3 times in total.

tomoswald

Post by tomoswald » Fri Jun 05, 2020 5:14 pm

I found an old Minolta SLR when i was about 6 i think and then joined the photography club at school. I loved the tech you used for developing photos. We could only do black and white and sepia though as temperature controlled baths for chemicals in the early 90's was very expensive

I wonder how many people under the age of 30 know how to develop photos these days..

TimHill

Post by TimHill » Sat Jun 06, 2020 12:40 pm

I don't Tom and I'm 51 this August :D

Good memories...

dabhand16

Post by dabhand16 » Sun Jun 07, 2020 1:39 pm

It started for me when I was given a camera for my 7th birthday.

bob-willers

Post by bob-willers » Wed Jun 17, 2020 6:03 pm

It really started for me when I had to medically retire, stuck at home with nothing to do I picked up the pocket camera and started playing. It progressed from there.

hpbirkeland

Post by hpbirkeland » Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:00 am

For me it started when I got a Kodak Instamatic when I was 11, in 1977. I "upgraded" to a more recent point-and-shoot that used "normal 35 mm film in the late 80's, then I got my first SLR in 1993. My granddad had stopped using his camera, so I got the old, fully manual Minolta SR-1, with three prime lenses and a handheld light meter. That was when I started learning more about apertures and shutter speeds.

When the light meter broke down the year after, I bought a second hand Minolta XG-7 with a 35-70 mm zoom. It was a considerable upgrade with an internal light meter and aperture priority semi-automatic mode. I love both those cameras and have used them a little in the past year. There's something special about the mechanical feeling, and the sound of the shutter mechanism in the SR-1 is just magical.

The down side in those days was that the learning was really slow, as I had to use up a roll of film, which could take weeks, and then get it developed, before I got to see the images and figure out how I could improve, if I remembered what I had done in the first place. "EXIF data" only stored in the photographer's brain is very vulnerable for corruption :D. And don't get me started on the quality of the 10x15 cm prints!

After an interlude with a point-and shoot again around the late 90's and early 00's I went digital with a small Canon PowerShot A520 in 2005, which opened up a new world with the ability to immediately see the images. Unfortunately I lost this camera after a year, but I replaced it with it's successor, the A540, which I used up until I got my first DSLR, the Canon 550D in 2012. Today I live a happy life with a Canon 80D, which I also use to digitize old negatives. Finally I can get out the image quality that many of these deserve!

dylanburgess

Post by dylanburgess » Fri Sep 18, 2020 3:10 pm

I used to enjoy spending time out and about, taking in the sites. But as with many people work and family took priority, but as my daughter got older and more independent, I started to gain more free time.

So I started to get out more often and decided to get a bridge camera to take some snaps....well that was it, I was instantly hooked. That was around 4-5 years ago and here I am still shooting away. Now using a mirrorless system.

lauracaptain

Post by lauracaptain » Fri Sep 18, 2020 5:57 pm

Hmmm... I have to think about that, just seems like I've always been a photographer.

In my youth I had always enjoyed taking snapshots with disposable cameras and point and shoot cameras, nothing serious. I have always enjoyed looking at beautiful things especially magazines and websites with awesome photos. At some point, I remember thinking, I wanted to create my own beautiful images and decided to get serious about it.

I bought a nice Nikon DSLR, lenses, filters, tripods and etc. I bought photography books, read web articles and participated in several photography classes. I also shoot whenever I can and make a point of creating my own photo projects, I love the very act of creating a photo. My weakness and what I need to work on is taking the time to do any needed edits and then post them online or print them out. LOL. I'm probably not the only photographer that struggles with that. ;)