Next year

Discuss anything you like here
tomoswald

Next year

Post by tomoswald » Wed Nov 30, 2016 8:20 pm

Unlike facebook we want maximum engagement and viewers of your content. As some of you may know we are launching a much improved feed, featuring the ability to share, like and comment. This introduces the opportunity for your content to reach much larger audiences, similar to the way when content is shared on facebook some of your facebook friends see it, the same will happen here, except that all of your followers see it.

I personally have long been an advocate of controlling what i want to see in my feed, not what facebook wants me to see and this ethos will be applied to clickasnap. This of course means the onus of not irritating your subscribers is with excessive sharing etc is very much on your shoulders.

Ontop of this, 2017 is going to be about investing in platform systems that enable your content to be found and interacted with easier. So if anyone has any ideas to add to the pot on how to achieve this i would love to hear them

petermillar

Re: Next year

Post by petermillar » Wed Nov 30, 2016 8:49 pm

Well Tom, as it's you, I'll post a link to the "albums" on my top secret flickr channel, where anyone can examine and download anything they want at any resolution https://www.flickr.com/photos/pulanama/albums

I have stopped posting photos to my personal facebook (using the CAS link instead), but have felt a need to keep the flickr channel for various reasons:

1) At the beginning people could not always get to see CAS because of adblocker;
2) On flickr, the person at the other end can select photos they want and download for various uses up to print standard in some cases, e.g. for press releases or festival posters or whatever;
3) There is a limited "appeal" of the Flickr pictures - they tend to be for specific groups of people (e.g. those who are organising or attended an event) so I have not wanted to clog up the CAS feed with them (someone else raised this on the forum recently - asking whether they would lose subscribers by posting party pictures);
4) I am a bit of a fan of flickr for these very reasons, it has been really easy over the past few years to get the pictures you want to the person you want, without annoying anyone else (I don't really bother with "subscribers")

So ... on here ... it would be great to be able to decide which pictures do and do not go onto the "feed" (so you don't bother subscribers with, say, event photos); it would be great to have scroll-through albums with space for captions (flickr not too good at captions and words, as they are kind of lost down below somewhere); and it would be great to have more interraction with other users on here for "general" photos.

tomoswald

Post by tomoswald » Wed Nov 30, 2016 9:53 pm

Hi Peter,

Thank you for that.

In response to a few of your points:
1) yup, it was primarily on your say so that we decided to remove it to be honest
2) The new site will have the option to allow free downloads of any images you choose should you wish to offer any as downloads
3/4) Yes, this is an interesting concept. I have added the option to hide uploads from your feed into our software wishlist

More interaction is the name of the game next year, the question is, how to do it efficiently and fairly

kerrie

Post by kerrie » Fri Dec 02, 2016 8:57 am

Hi Tom, if a viewer can choose which album they wish to view when they visit a user's page, that will minimize the chances of annoying them with pictures that are of no interest to them. What do you think?

tomoswald

Post by tomoswald » Fri Dec 02, 2016 9:57 am

kerrie wrote:Hi Tom, if a viewer can choose which album they wish to view when they visit a user's page, that will minimize the chances of annoying them with pictures that are of no interest to them. What do you think?
The problem with this is that your viewer may not know when you have created a new album. We are likely to make it so that when you bulk upload photos they are all shown under one thumbnail of your choice. Although this is something that won't be in with the new site

kerrie

Post by kerrie » Sat Dec 03, 2016 4:30 pm

I am not expecting to have much success selling pictures to the public. Is there an option for users to send postcards or greeting cards of their own photos to friends and family on an occasional basis?

tomoswald

Post by tomoswald » Sat Dec 03, 2016 4:32 pm

You can sell pictures as postcards, or order your own pictures to be sent as postcards if you wish