Who are you?

Discuss anything you like here
bobedwards

Who are you?

Post by bobedwards » Sun Jun 12, 2016 12:02 pm

Every time I log in to ClickASnap I see fantastic new images from members and photography that covers so many genres from landscape to portrait to still life, so I thought now that we have a forum wouldn't it be great to find out a bit more about the people behind the images. So come on all you ‘togs out there share your story with us. My previous post had 36 views and two comments so people are viewing the forum.

I bought my first camera when I was 15 and learned to process my own black and white film several years later in the mid 60s my uncle who was a seafarer bought me a Canon FT QL SLR that was my pride and joy for many years as photography remained my main hobby. My career was very different; I was a police officer and later a teacher in further education before retiring due to ill health in 2010. It was then that I picked my camera up again and have since had several different Nikon cameras and lenses.

I started watching Mike Browne on YouTube and following his tutorials on http://www.photographycourses.biz/ and by listening to his advice and practicing the techniques he teaches my photography improved tenfold, I now do some part time work for a local newspaper taking photographs and writing a monthly column as well as taking stock photographs.

Photography for me though will remain a hobby at 64 with quite severe breathing difficulties it's a bit late for me to start a career but taking photographs gets me out and about on an almost daily basis and that helps not only with my condition but also my sanity.

So if you have the time tell us your story, who are you?

cyrillcamenzind

I am Cyrill Camenzind

Post by cyrillcamenzind » Sun Jun 12, 2016 6:20 pm

I got my beloved Nikon D90 on Christmas Even 2010 and never have I left it at home when travelling since.
I learned much of the art of Photography through self teaching and experimenting. Training the eye to see beautiful frames and images in our world full of wonders was hard at first but I learned quickly and changed the way I look at the beauty that is our world.
Ever since 2010 my equipment has improved step by step but was never a main part of my photography, I think of all equipment as enablers for different views and ideas. Lenses, flash, tripod all assembled throughout the last couple of years I thoroughly enjoy spending time outside adjusting settings and waiting for the perfect light. The art of post-processing RAW files in Lightroom was the next logical step in my photographic career and I enjoy it quit a bit. Don't get me wrong, I am very fond of unchanged pictures, but I am also recognizing that our world is getting more colourful and the colour vibrancy around us is rising as you are reading this.
At that stage the eye of the general public is trained to catch on beautiful over saturated pictures with a full range of colourful filters applied thus loosing the focus on unprocessed images. The art of processing an Image so it can catch ones eyes without overdoing is one I am very interested in.

Furthermore I enjoy Black and White photography, animals and many more things that can be frozen in time with this beautiful thing called camera. Through ClickASnap I hope to find a way to give this beautiful hobby more room in my life and more possibilities to shine and make me and everyone who looks at my images happy.

bobedwards

Re: Who are you?

Post by bobedwards » Sun Jun 12, 2016 7:56 pm

Hi Cyrill, I also had a D90 at one point, a great camera, as for shooting RAW I have always done so, it gives a similar level of control to shooting with film and I hold my hands up to having to control my desire to over process images. I'm getting better at it though, I try to post process only in Lightroom now and use photoshop less.

Thanks for an interesting posts I hope we see some more from other users.

Bob

GeneWaddle

Gene Waddle

Post by GeneWaddle » Mon Jun 13, 2016 1:17 pm

I might be a bit unusual for one of my generation. I was born in the 50s, but didn't really get into photography until 2014. I always had a camera, but never used them much because I never liked film, even when it was the only thing around. I had a few point and shoot digital cameras in the 90s and early 2000s, but didn't really use them much. In 2013 I got into recording videos of my singing and that kind of led eventually to an interest in still shooting. It's amazing what can be captured when your eyes are opened to the possibilities. Clouds would have to be my favorite, because they are ever changing and each image is totally unique and can only be captured once, if that makes sense.

As far as equipment, I'm now on my fourth, and hopefully final, DSLR for a while. Being new to all this it took me a while to realize what features I needed and what I didn't need. For now, the Nikon D7100 is filling all the needs I have for stills and a Sony a6000 is my video camera. Heading into retirement soon, I'm glad I found something that can let me express myself creatively and keep my mind working.

bobedwards

Post by bobedwards » Mon Jun 13, 2016 2:37 pm

Hi Gene,

Loved reading that, its strange how people get into photography I guess there must be a thousand and one reasons, I've been looking at your feed and you have some really nice shots in there, like you I love clouds in images they can be so dramatic and add so much to a photograph.

I am assuming being a video guy you have joined Videscape at http://www.videscape.com/ if you haven't you should and upload one of your videos singing for us to enjoy.

Looking forward to seeing more of your photographs and perhaps a video or two,

Bob

tomoswald

Post by tomoswald » Tue Jun 14, 2016 10:44 am

So as Bob kindly started this thread, as the owner of the company behind this i thought i should add a bit about me here! I'm Tom, I have a strong engineering background and built my first internal combustion engine at about the age of 12 i think (Lister D Type from 1939) I have always loved photography having built a dark room under my bunk bed at 13 so i could developed black and white film at home. Until quite recently i hadn't done any photography for many years as i had been sidetracked by multiple projects that i am involved in. But 2 years ago i went and bought a Nikon D7100 and started taking photos again. I am no fan of landscape or portrait photos and i hate photographing humans, i like technical photography so i have learnt and actually photographed galaxies as far away as 190 million light years. One of my favourite photos of all time was the Andromeda Galaxy https://www.clickasnap.com/i/xnegcpj5f70n1njm This was taken using my Nikon and about 20 grands worth of equipment to track the sky. It certainly was fun!

Anyway shortly after this i started dating a profesional horse rider and i started photographing her https://www.clickasnap.com/i/zihkqbl4prf7ll8x was one of my favourite captures using the Sigma f1.4 lens on a Canon 5D MK III camera body. I am now looking for more photography challenges and am thinking about microscope photography next!

bobedwards

Post by bobedwards » Wed Jun 15, 2016 11:08 am

Wow Tom, that's got to be one of the most unusual photography stories I've heard and that photograph of Andromeda is absolutely stunning, I get excited if I get a decent shot of the moon.

Now is there anyone else out there who can beat Toms story?

petermillar

Post by petermillar » Wed Jun 15, 2016 5:53 pm

Well Bob, I was born and raised in India, and had lived on four continents by the age of 20. Sadly, it was only after that that I got into Photography properly for a few years, as a kind of record of people and places, using Pentax and Koda/Ectachrome. Gave up when digital arrived, but started again after doing a course on video as an aid to teaching food producing, and discovering (because it could do video) that you could now get digital SLRs, and they weren't even that expensive. Video got eclipsed by stills in about 2012 when I got a DSLR. I found it quite easy to start off, because things like aperture, shutter speed & composition were all pretty familiar. However, my astonishment at being able to change ISO from shot to shot was only the first discovery of the amazing flexibility that digital gives us compared to the past, like intentional camera movement, burst mode, long exposures (without having to do all sorts of complicated sums) ... the list is endless.

bobedwards

Post by bobedwards » Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:55 pm

Hi Peter, it has been a lifelong ambition for me to visit India and I hope to do at some point before I shuffle off to who knows where.

The mere mention of Pentax got me reminiscing I had an Asahi Pentax camera back in the day, can't remember the model now but it was aperture priority only so no full manual but you could use it manually in bulb mode, and your mention of ISO, the thing I found most astonishing about digital was the wonderful world of ISO settings, I'm old enough to remember carrying around different rolls of film for different light situations but your so right the list of things digital gave to us is endless and I'm still learning all the time.

Thanks for joining in on this post, I hope more of our wonderful ClickASnappers do the same.

robbe76

Post by robbe76 » Fri Jun 17, 2016 10:33 am

I'm a Swedish speaking Finn who mostly likes to shoot nature and landscape pictures. One of my favourite locations is the beautiful archipelago in the south western Finland, which happens to be where I live.
As part of my studies, i got to take a couple of pictures with a film SLR sometimes in mid 90's. I got secretly interested in photography when playing with depth of field and watching how amazing the the few pictures looked compared to pictures from my pocket camera. I hardly took any pictures until I decided to buy my friend's old Canon 1000D and started shooting with it in 2011. I googled a lot to learn how to take pictures, attended a beginners course, found some very informative video courses at moderskeppet.se about photographing and editing, and finally of course Mike Browne's brilliant youtube videos.
Over the years my equipment has little by little been updated, and now it is built around my trusty Canon 6D.
The last two years I have also been taking aerial pictures with a drone with an attached Canon EOS M as the flying camera.