Who are you?

Discuss anything you like here
bobedwards

Re: Who are you?

Post by bobedwards » Fri Jun 17, 2016 10:40 am

Another really interesting story, thanks Robbe!

Just been looking at your photographs, they are stunning, there must be so many of us out there who owe so much to Mike Browne and his amazing tutorials he really does make it so easy to learn.

Bob
Last edited by bobedwards on Fri Jun 17, 2016 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

robbe76

Post by robbe76 » Fri Jun 17, 2016 11:44 am

Thank you Bob! That's true. He has truly inspired me too.

Photoman60

Post by Photoman60 » Mon Jun 27, 2016 7:07 pm

Where do I start...? Began taking pics back in the 70s with my Father's Pentax Spotamatic, however what really piqued my interest in photography was my first darkroom experience, that (unknowingly at the time) set me on the path where I am today. Shot for a few school papers in High School, especially sporting events. Some of my sports shots were picked up by local newspapers in and around the Minneapolis area. At University, I was doing a degree in Political Science, when a National Geographic photographer did a few lectures and workshops at school, I soon changed my direction (much to my parents displeasure). Over the years my photography was focused on the Photojournalism arena, though travel, landscapes were also strong interests. Shot for many outlets including AP, Reuters, AFP and so on, visited some 70 countries as well as residing in the UK, Australia and South Africa. Over the years I started to burn out on shooting news (too depressing and political), I was soon laid off from a Texas based newspaper, which was a blessing in disguise. Having a small savings in the bank, no outstanding debt, I was free to began exploring a country that I have seen so little of, America, starting off with my adopted state of Texas. Still, I have to make a living, I shoot primarily stock and commercial work to pay the bills and for those travels across the Lone Star State. Making a decent living as a photographer was always tough, but even more so now in this digital era, still once it gets into ya, it is tough to shake....

jeantree

Post by jeantree » Tue Jun 28, 2016 4:15 pm

I have always loved pictures. Owned several film point and shoots over the years. Bought a Ricoh SLR in 1978 and took pictures as we traveled around in a travel trailer, moving 48 times in 6 years. Then when I knew we were taking a trip to Germany I bought a Pentax Kx DSLR in 2011, because I could use my old lenses on it. (I don't do that much, but nice that I can when I want to) and it takes AA batteries, which you can buy anywhere if need be. I thought the transition to digital would be easy, but was overwhelmed by all the bells and whistles on even that entry level camera, so I mostly used the auto or aperture mode for over a year.
Then I signed up for a short local class, (there were only 3 other people in it, which I knew in some manner) and it wasn't until the first meeting that I discovered it was for ADVANCED photographers! I decided to hang in there, because I had a good base knowledge. I'm glad I did! Because even though I truly didn't learn that much, what it did was make me use what I knew and ignited the love of photography I've always had.
I mostly shoot landscapes but will try various things and would like to get better at portraits. Many of my photos are SOOC, (straight out of camera) but I will edit them if I think it helps. Usually strictly in Adobe Camera RAW. I don't often care for the over processed photos, and strive to try and catch in camera what I see. Because I am becoming more critical, I am finding that more of a challenge.
My schoolmate GeneWaddle introduced me to this site and I find it very interesting to see photos from around the world, and back home (Gene now lives fairly close to where I grew up). I do wish the site made it easier to get around or flow. My computer is very slow so opening pictures takes a long time.
My page is called Life Shots by JeanB, and I find I have already subscribed to most of those who have responded to this thread!

bobedwards

Post by bobedwards » Tue Jun 28, 2016 5:55 pm

Photoman60 wrote:Where do I start...? Began taking pics back in the 70s with my Father's Pentax Spotamatic, however what really piqued my interest in photography was my first darkroom experience, that (unknowingly at the time) set me on the path where I am today. Shot for a few school papers in High School, especially sporting events. Some of my sports shots were picked up by local newspapers in and around the Minneapolis area. At University, I was doing a degree in Political Science, when a National Geographic photographer did a few lectures and workshops at school, I soon changed my direction (much to my parents displeasure). Over the years my photography was focused on the Photojournalism arena, though travel, landscapes were also strong interests. Shot for many outlets including AP, Reuters, AFP and so on, visited some 70 countries as well as residing in the UK, Australia and South Africa. Over the years I started to burn out on shooting news (too depressing and political), I was soon laid off from a Texas based newspaper, which was a blessing in disguise. Having a small savings in the bank, no outstanding debt, I was free to began exploring a country that I have seen so little of, America, starting off with my adopted state of Texas. Still, I have to make a living, I shoot primarily stock and commercial work to pay the bills and for those travels across the Lone Star State. Making a decent living as a photographer was always tough, but even more so now in this digital era, still once it gets into ya, it is tough to shake....

Wow what a fascinating story, loved reading it, Thank you Photoman60
Last edited by bobedwards on Tue Jun 28, 2016 6:03 pm, edited 3 times in total.

bobedwards

Post by bobedwards » Tue Jun 28, 2016 6:01 pm

[quote="jeantree"]I have always loved pictures. Owned several film point and shoots over the years. Bought a Ricoh SLR in 1978 and took pictures as we traveled around in a travel trailer, moving 48 times in 6 years. Then when I knew we were taking a trip to Germany I bought a Pentax Kx DSLR in 2011, because I could use my old lenses on it. (I don't do that much, but nice that I can when I want to) and it takes AA batteries, which you can buy anywhere if need be. I thought the transition to digital would be easy, but was overwhelmed by all the bells and whistles on even that entry level camera, so I mostly used the auto or aperture mode for over a year.
Then I signed up for a short local class, (there were only 3 other people in it, which I knew in some manner) and it wasn't until the first meeting that I discovered it was for ADVANCED photographers! I decided to hang in there, because I had a good base knowledge. I'm glad I did! Because even though I truly didn't learn that much, what it did was make me use what I knew and ignited the love of photography I've always had.
I mostly shoot landscapes but will try various things and would like to get better at portraits. Many of my photos are SOOC, (straight out of camera) but I will edit them if I think it helps. Usually strictly in Adobe Camera RAW. I don't often care for the over processed photos, and strive to try and catch in camera what I see. Because I am becoming more critical, I am finding that more of a challenge.
My schoolmate GeneWaddle introduced me to this site and I find it very interesting to see photos from around the world, and back home (Gene now lives fairly close to where I grew up). I do wish the site made it easier to get around or flow. My computer is very slow so opening pictures takes a long time.
My page is called Life Shots by JeanB, and I find I have already subscribed to most of those who have responded to this thread![/quote
]

Loved your story and enjoyed looking at your images, I love the photograph of the Milky Way wish I could see something like that from my front door, living in the UK I see mostly cloudy rainy skys. Thank you so much for posting on my thread, looking forward to seeing more of your photographs.

Bob

G-Hebblethwaite

Post by G-Hebblethwaite » Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:10 pm

Hi to everyone what a fantastic way to start. The stories you tell are interesting and all pursuing an interest in photography in different ways with so many images which show fantastic results. Unfortunately I started late, approximately ten years ago when I walked into the Jacobs store in Hull and told the guy I wanted to buy a DSLR. He asked what I had in mind but I had no idea obviously he laughed, however he was very helpful and showed me the Pentax K100D.He gave me lots of good advice and the one thing he did say which I will never forget was " your first photos will be rubbish" and boy was he right. I spent many hours frustrated and the delete button working overtime but persevered until I managed to get something to display on my laptop. I since purchased another DSLR which is a Sony a57 and accumulated some additional lenses, the thing is I just like taking photos and nothing in particular just whatever catches my eye. I found Mike Brownes tutorials beneficial and so simple to follow which made things so much easier. I now trawl through all the brilliant images which are uploaded for some inspiration and tips for composition. If you have seen my images thank you for viewing them and I would welcome any advice and constructive criticism.

Garry

woodywood143

Post by woodywood143 » Wed Jun 29, 2016 12:55 am

As usual I'm the odd man out. My name is Woodrow, my friends call me Woody. I'm 58 I'm an American living in Rural south Georgia. Im disabled but not confined to my chariot, unless my wife is home. My outdoor movement is very limited so I no long use the outdated cameras I own. All are 35mm. Im hyper creative, when I couldn't get into the field and photograph anymore I found a alternate source to create and be productive. In 1999 I stared working with Cad programs on my PC. Three years ago I started sharing my work, mostly Mechanical surrealism on line. Iv'e managed to built a pretty good following on various social media sites. In excess of 40K followers many of which I'm selectively inviting here, most are Photographers. My work has been published, plagiarized and stolen so I'm very Humbled. There's some amazing works being posted here. I spend a good portion of my day here looking. All though Im not a Photographer anymore, Im a Artist I hope you will accept my work into this community. Nice meeting all of you.

Photoman60

Post by Photoman60 » Wed Jun 29, 2016 3:20 am

jeantree wrote: Many of my photos are SOOC, (straight out of camera) but I will edit them if I think it helps. Usually strictly in Adobe Camera RAW. I don't often care for the over processed photos, and strive to try and catch in camera what I see. Because I am becoming more critical, I am finding that more of a challenge.
I hear ya and I "try" to SOOC however most of my work gets some tweaking as most RAW images are flat. There are times however when an image begs for some serious manipulation and frankly you simply want to try something different. My portfolio on this site will show that.

SteJaBarn

Post by SteJaBarn » Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:17 am

I often ask myself the very same question...Who am I?
Me....I am a military brat, father was in the RAF, so ended up living in various different places. Like most people I only really take photos for fun. Being the age I am I started with point and click film cameras. But it was not really until the digital age that I got into photography more, but even then it was mainly point and click. I remember being so excited for having a 5 Megapixel Sony camera. Then came the advent of phones with cameras...wow..those VGA cameras....then when they started to make phones with 1 or 2 megapixels my mind was blown....Really?!?!...on a phone?!?!?! The world is going MAD! Then along came smart phones I was a bit late into that market buying my first iPhone 3s. I think it was a 5 Megapixel camera but it was the various editing applications that made it more exciting. I still only had point and click digital cameras but compared to what I was able to do on a smart phone, I used my phone more. Then along came Instagram, which I still use. I loved the fact I could instantly edit, or be it very basic editing and share my photos with friends and strangers and got a kick out of seeing people like my photo...even it was just one or two.
A few years ago I bought a Nikon Bridge camera, which I still have and even though I enjoyed that, it was still basically a shoot and click camera with a few settings I could play around with. Anyway...last year...I bought a cheap DLSR a Nikon D3300. I am still getting used to it but having fun with it. I have bought a couple of lenses for it since.
I am no photo snob or professional. I have had no training or lessons and my photos are amateurish and the very best and to be honest, the majority, if not all, my photos are pretty bad, hence calling myself the Bad Photographer. However, I enjoy taking photos and eventually, when finances allow, I may do a photography course.