iPad Pro any good for photographers?

Discuss anything you like here
peter_rudolf

iPad Pro any good for photographers?

Post by peter_rudolf » Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:53 pm

Is an iPad pro any good for photographers? I'm talking as a replacement for my ever slowing laptop, so it needs to be able to download pictures from my sd cards, store images, back them up to external hard drives, run Photoshop and be suitable for the actual editing process and occasionally print images.

Anyone out there actually using an iPad pro as a replacement to a laptop, I would be interested in hearing your thoughts

tomoswald

Re: iPad Pro any good for photographers?

Post by tomoswald » Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:08 pm

joseph_luong

Post by joseph_luong » Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:19 pm

Hello, I'm currently using an ipad AIR 2, not the pro, along with surface pro 4 and in my opinion, iPad pRO is NOT suitable for a complete replacement for your laptop. Mainly because:
1. Ipad is a tablet and runs mobile platform iOS. This means that you have to use adobe app for iOS instead of your laptop Lightroom and Photoshop. You'd need MacOS our Windows 10 operating system.
2. Because it's a tablet, it does not have a mouse feature built in. Even if you purchase a Bluetooth mouse, it won't work.
3. Transferring files in and out is a nightmare for me. It's just not as simple as plug in a usb device and simply transfer them like traditional laptop. I don't think you can connect your external hard drives to iPad simply because there's no usb port to plug in, other than the lightning charge port.

If portability is important to you, then best option is to purchased a 2in1 that runs Windows 10, or any mac book line.
I used surface pro 4 as main laptop and there are limitations to surface pro 4, but it's just minor and easily corrected. For example, only 1 USB port, so I can't plug in wireless mouse dongle and external hard drive at the same time. The fix: spent $CAD18 for a Bluetooth mouse and $40 for a Bluetooth keyboard. But the ability to carry such a small form factor laptop worked very well for me :-)

peter_rudolf

Post by peter_rudolf » Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:41 pm

Thanks Tom, I wasn't thinking about using one to take the pictures and having read what Joseph has to say I won't be buying on to process them either! Great help Joseph thank you both for the replies.

teomanewman

Post by teomanewman » Sat Apr 01, 2017 1:03 pm

Xiaomi mobiles blow most devices out the water, http://www.mi.com/en/mix/#section7 256GB/6GB with Snapdragon 821 it laughs at Apple and Microsoft. Lightroom is on android so that's more options.
Just thought I'd throw that spanner in :lol:

:geek: