tomoswald

ClickASnap bugs list

Post by tomoswald » Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:46 am

Post bugs in here please

stevehphotos

Re: ClickASnap bugs list

Post by stevehphotos » Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:06 pm

tomoswald wrote:Post bugs in here please

on uploads even though I upload at 300dpi but the resolution on the data says 72/1

Also, I have noticed that recent uploads are appearing very dark and grainy on CaS whereas, on other websites they are the colours I see on my computer before I upload, I know that there is something to do with the compressed files on CaS, however, I would have thought that dull grainy looking images would put potential buyers off!

tomoswald

Post by tomoswald » Wed Jun 14, 2017 2:02 pm

Yes the image resolution data is being removed in the next EXIf format update as it is irrelevant

We haven't made any changes to the image compression algorithyms so am not sure why that would be

marius

Post by marius » Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:17 pm

Don't know if is the right place to say... but in forum the topmost right 3 icons do not work anymore, except the button "Upload".

tomoswald

Post by tomoswald » Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:28 pm

marius wrote:Don't know if is the right place to say... but in forum the topmost right 3 icons do not work anymore, except the button "Upload".
Thanks will get it checked out

lauracaptain

Post by lauracaptain » Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:49 am

stevehphotos wrote:
tomoswald wrote:Post bugs in here please

on uploads even though I upload at 300dpi but the resolution on the data says 72/1

Also, I have noticed that recent uploads are appearing very dark and grainy on CaS whereas, on other websites they are the colours I see on my computer before I upload, I know that there is something to do with the compressed files on CaS, however, I would have thought that dull grainy looking images would put potential buyers off!

Hello, I agree with Steve. For several weeks now, when I click around this site, so many photos look pixelated and of low resolution. This looks really bad and I'm sure driving people away. Is this a problem with the system? Are people uploading low res photos? The system shouldn't allow users to upload photos smaller than a certain size. Unfortunately, I have not uploaded any images yet, partly because of this problem. This should be addressed ASAP since it's a very bad reflection on the site.

marius

Post by marius » Fri Jun 16, 2017 6:03 am

lauracaptain wrote:
stevehphotos wrote:... Also, I have noticed that recent uploads are appearing very dark and grainy on CaS whereas, on other websites they are the colours I see on my computer before I upload, I know that there is something to do with the compressed files on CaS, however, I would have thought that dull grainy looking images would put potential buyers off!
Hello, I agree with Steve. For several weeks now, when I click around this site, so many photos look pixelated and of low resolution. This looks really bad and I'm sure driving people away...
As far as I understand compression is quite severe in the uploads you make (due to hosting costs I suppose) and the thumbnails you usually see look many times horrible. You have to open the actual image to see it properly (even is compressed but at least is bigger) but I agree, a non-appealing thumbnail may not stimulate you to open the image :(

claviger

Post by claviger » Fri Jun 16, 2017 6:09 am

marius wrote:... but I agree, a non-appealing thumbnail may not stimulate you to open the image :(

It does and has stopped me from opening images. The bad thing is I realised that I must be getting used to the poor thumbnail images as it doesnt bother me now. What is the recommended resolution to upload at, does CaS have a max level? If I upload high is it just a waste of time

tomoswald

Post by tomoswald » Fri Jun 16, 2017 7:30 am

The larger the file you upload the higher the final image quality

This was actually all heavily debated sometime back amd we found higher quality thumbnails resulted in less click throughs to the image and therefore less views overall

Increased image size also slows down the site. Therefore currently we are working on speedng the sute up using granular caching and various other methods. Once this is complete we can then readdress image compression factors and file size

We are also currently working on a new system for showing photos which will improve the situation and be brought out with the new gallery features in 8 weeks or so

claviger

Post by claviger » Fri Jun 16, 2017 3:34 pm

That all sounds good. So in the mean time what size do you recommend to upload at Tom