Tell us about issues you have here

Discuss anything you like here
tomoswald

Re: Tell us about issues you have here

Post by tomoswald » Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:18 pm

What browser are you using? If even clicking on an advert does nothing it would suggest there is an issue at your end

celeste_aeron

Post by celeste_aeron » Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:43 pm

tomoswald wrote:What browser are you using? If even clicking on an advert does nothing it would suggest there is an issue at your end
Hi.

I've had this happen with all those I have tried, which is Chrome, Iron (based on Chrome), Opera, IE, Firefox, Cyberfox and Waterfox (both based on Firefox). I'm Just trying a new browser called Brave, and it's the same with that. This is why I brought it up, because I get it with Chrome as well, which I remember you saying somewhere that the site was optimised for. Browsing the site is faster in Chrome (and Iron), but the missing and low res thumbnail issue happens in all of them.

Best.
Last edited by celeste_aeron on Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.

tomoswald

Post by tomoswald » Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:47 pm

yes the site is optimised for Chrome, using any other browser will likely not improve things

We are aware of the odd missing thumbnail and working to correct it, as for low resolution thumbnails I'm personally not seeing any. Our image technology is quite dependent on a users computer processing power as well as bandwidth available to them, if either of these is low or slow for you that may be the result of the lower quality thumbnails

celeste_aeron

Post by celeste_aeron » Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:10 pm

Hi.

The second problem just raised, where clicking on links, ads, etc did nothing, I was using Cyberfox at that time, so that could be Cyberfox related as it's no longer being developed and/or updated.

To clarify the speed issue, it is more like lag, rather than a download speed thing. I can scroll my mouse wheel to continue looking at thumbnails, but there is a really long delay before anything happens. The more thumbnails I load, the more Scrolling becomes slower and slower until it gets to a point where the page just grinds to a halt and I have navigate away. This happens in Chrome too.

Is there any where I can post a screen grab as right now, all thumbs on the Popular Photos page in Chrome are of really low res, and all of them are for images posted today?

tomoswald

Post by tomoswald » Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:29 pm

Firstly can you do a speed test on your internet for me?

lag is directly related to your download speeds

go to this link and just follow the instructions http://www.speedtest.net/

celeste_aeron

Post by celeste_aeron » Fri Sep 29, 2017 2:16 pm

tomoswald wrote:Firstly can you do a speed test on your internet for me?

lag is directly related to your download speeds

go to this link and just follow the instructions http://www.speedtest.net/
I don't think these speed test sites give a true test of your connection speed, but speedtest.net rated my download speed at 5.62Mb/s.

Thumbs, images, etc load fast enough though, it's just that the site is really slow (hard) to move and navigate around. Even going to my own uploads page, as I scroll down to view all the thumbs (they've all already loaded), the page moves slower and slower. It's fast when at the top of the page, but gets slower as I get to the bottom.

Here's a screen grab from Chrome of the thumbs issue. As noted, they are all for images posted today. http://oi64.tinypic.com/fdzm6v.jpg

tomoswald

Post by tomoswald » Fri Sep 29, 2017 2:28 pm

Very strange, we'll keep an eye on it and see if it is reported by any other users.

Could you let me know what computer platform you are using?

skipper

Post by skipper » Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:23 pm

Hi Tom,

I just would like to confirm Celeste's findings:
- I sometimes have a few very low res thumbnails in the search - some even just one colour. Sometime a reload fixes it.
- the site is responding slowly (I just checked in Chrome: load clickasnap.com - now click on "view all" and it takes 11 to 15 seconds until the first images are displayed now click on "Feed" and wait another 8-10 seconds for a redraw)
- it gets slower and slower the further I scroll down on any page (search or feed) and the fan kicks in (normally I only hear it when heavily working on pictures or videos)
- What really drives me nuts right now is that right-clicking on thumbs in the feed (to open in new tab) only rarely works.

My connection is pretty stable at 48 Mbps: http://www.speedtest.net/result/6665846083.png

Using mainly Firefox but also Safari and Chrome on a 4 GHz Intel Core i7 iMac 27" with 24 GB RAM - should be enough for displaying a website

tomoswald

Post by tomoswald » Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:32 pm

Thanks for the info;

The new imaging technology slowed down the site, this will be addressed
It will get slower as you go down the page as your computer has to load more and more images to render the page, again will be addressed

Right clicking on thumbs was an unknown side affect and will be addressed with the new image navigation technology rolled out later this year, in the meantime just middle click on the image, this works fine

celeste_aeron

Post by celeste_aeron » Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:23 pm

tomoswald wrote:Very strange, we'll keep an eye on it and see if it is reported by any other users.

Could you let me know what computer platform you are using?
It's an oldy now. Dell Inspiron 580 running Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1, Intel Core i3 540 @ 3.07GHz, AMD Radeon HD 5670 graphics card and 16.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 664MHz. While the PC is a few years old now, I just want to add that ClickASnap is the only site I'm experiencing this problem of it grinding to a halt with.

I had also noticed what skipper mentions, with my fan working harder the further I got down a page, getting up to speeds normally only reached when encoding video. Out of curiosity, I decided to disable 'Use hardware acceleration when available' in all the browsers, and this has helped. I've just been scrolling through several hundred thumbs and it remained almost as fast as it did at the start. It has resulted in some tearing as I scroll (and will make watching videos on YouTube etc at full screen a problem), but scrolling down is easier.