tutorials

Discuss anything you like here
claviger

tutorials

Post by claviger » Sun Jun 25, 2017 6:25 pm

Love the recent tutorials that Tom posted/linked to but I have a question. Without sounding daft, does everyone use Lightroom and Photoshop? I'm fairly new to photography, well its something I keep coming back to, but at the moment I dont have either of these programs and wondered what other people use. I'm using Nikons Capture NX-D which has basic funtions yes and trying RawTherapee. I cant get my head round having to pay a monthly fee for LR/PS if I wouldnt use it which I dont think I would.If I dont use it it stops being available doesn't it?

tomoswald

Re: tutorials

Post by tomoswald » Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:22 pm

I personally use photoshop i believe its worth the invesntment tbh

tony-smith

Post by tony-smith » Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:09 pm

I have Adobe CC, which is LR & PS. I pay an annual subscription of a little over £100 pa I think. It is well worth it once you get into post processing a bit more, as it includes all updates which come out every couple of months or so. But I also know quite a lot of people that have Photoshop Elements, which is a one off payment around £60 I think, but doesn't include updates. I believe it's like a slightly cut down version of PS, aimed mainly at people just starting out in post processing. So it may be something for you to look into perhaps?

123Barso123

Post by 123Barso123 » Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:56 pm

For free try Gimp or Raw Therapee, the latter took me a month or so to get my head around after using PS for 15 years. Adobe Photoshop in whatever incarnation was long recognized and still is by some as the industry standard, back when it cost £100's it was a must have.....never fathomed that one out though. Phase One and DXO have their own raw editors both offer 30 day trials too.
Any digital camera bought nowadays will come with some sort of bundled software that will either make your photos shine or look like $h1t.
If you need somewhere to start I would say PS because of the extensive plug-ins and collections that are available to help your workflow, don't bother with the cut down PS elephants or even Lightroom unless you must catologue your images. Just my 2 cents worth...........oh and don't ever fork out a lot of money for software as there's a load of free and cheap stuff out there.

petermillar

Post by petermillar » Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:30 pm

claviger wrote: I cant get my head round having to pay a monthly fee for LR/PS
Me too, but I bought my version of LR outright on DVD (version 6.0), having previously used free software, and find it has made a big difference to processing as well as the database / catalogue business. You can also buy PS Elements on DVD.

joseph_luong

Post by joseph_luong » Sun Jun 25, 2017 11:12 pm

I'm currently using the Adobe CC, which includes Lightroom and Photoshop. I used Lightroom about 98% of the time for post processing and still find it's worth price paid for monthly (9.99USD/month).
The benefit of using Adobe CC is the program always stay up to date and there are more and more features being added as time goes on. For example, compare to Lightroom 6 & CC, the new Pano stiched now includes the feature of automatically filled the blank spaces when you try to stitch multiple images together. This is something can only be done via Photoshop for previous versions. Another example for Photoshop, is the powerful face liquify tool, which is extremely powerful and easy to use for portrait photos.
Then you have the Goolge Nix collection plug ins, which it's free and work with previous versions of Lightroom.
As Lightroom and Photoshop are the standards and most widely used photo editing softwares, it is much easier to find help for anything you need on the net.

However, there are other options available out there ranging from free to a more affordable one-time purchase software, instead of the monthly subscription from Adobe.
As 123Barso123 stated, there are free software such as Gimp or Raw Therapee, both I did not have a chance to used it so I don't say how good the program is.
There is another photo editing software coming from UK called AFFINITY PHOTO, you can download and try it out before commit to purchase it. It also have a bunch of tutorials on how to work with it.

For tablet, Adobe also have Photoshop Express for free, and includes the face liquify tool. I try it on iPad and it work wonders. It is also available for Android versions.
Another free but powerful app for ios and android is the Snapseed app.

There are lots of other programs instead of Adobe CC and you can always find one that suits your needs. But remember to always do a trial to see not only if you like the workflow, but also if your computer can handle the program. I try Affinity Photo, and for some reason my computer process quite laggy compared to Lightroom and Photoshop.
Good luck :-)

claviger

Post by claviger » Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:43 pm

Thanks for all the feed back guys, very helpful. Im sticking with the freebies for now until I get more into and used to post processing then may be will look into the subscription