Printing photos

Discuss anything you like here
tomoswald

Printing photos

Post by tomoswald » Sat Jun 03, 2017 12:47 pm

Do you think our current supplier is too expensive?

Should we supply a second, cheaper, potentially lower quality printer option?

m-doyle

Re: Printing photos

Post by m-doyle » Sat Jun 03, 2017 2:12 pm

I've used the printers only once and found it very fast and quality very good. Does Mike use this lab for all works would be interested to know

dylanburgess

Post by dylanburgess » Sat Jun 03, 2017 2:45 pm

I still new to all this and not had anything professionally printed yet or sold anything ;)

Guess my main worry would be too much choice and too many options. I have had a look through the product options and there are already so many to choose from. Would adding another printer into mix add more options or would it just be a case of picking which quality you would want said print at...high or lower quality?

tomoswald

Post by tomoswald » Sat Jun 03, 2017 3:22 pm

m-doyle wrote:I've used the printers only once and found it very fast and quality very good. Does Mike use this lab for all works would be interested to know

Yes this is Mikes choice of lab

tomoswald

Post by tomoswald » Sat Jun 03, 2017 3:23 pm

dylanburgess wrote:I still new to all this and not had anything professionally printed yet or sold anything ;)

Guess my main worry would be too much choice and too many options. I have had a look through the product options and there are already so many to choose from. Would adding another printer into mix add more options or would it just be a case of picking which quality you would want said print at...high or lower quality?
It would likely be a lower/high quality option although thw lower quality option would certainly still be pretty high. Just OVI do everything by hand hence the phenomenal print quality and the cost

123Barso123

Post by 123Barso123 » Sat Jun 03, 2017 4:26 pm

At the end of the day you get what you pay or so you would think. Every print shop out there is in business to make money, just go to any UK based camera forum in the print presentation section and you will find the done to death question of......what's the best online print service/lab etc, loads of replies and suggestions come up but there's always a few that are permanently mentioned. A person can act on advice and recommendations but at the end of the day it's down to user choice, you would need to look at what you want and compare prices with the other companies, not forgetting to read reviews on them too.
Getting prints done online is a risk, whatever the price, you never know how they will turn out all you can do is try them all and see what suits best, but that's a costly approach.
I personally know that prints are way overpriced, that's speaking from someone who worked in a print shop for over 10 years.

petermillar

Post by petermillar » Sat Jun 03, 2017 5:30 pm

I think they are a bit expensive (keep meaning to compare to Redbubble and Fine Art America - the "competition" so far as I am concerned ... but have not got around to it).

Another thing is that the "range" is not comprehensive - I had to go to another printer to get some magnets (bigger and more "sticky" than the OVI ones). They also do not do calendars (like Redbubble do), or photobooks (SAAL, Blurb)

There also does not seem to be a bulk discount : specific example - if you make a calendar, of something relevant to your local area or a particular interest group, it would be good to print off (say) ten copies for a pre-Christmas Stall at a discount - and then to have the option (when you inevitably(!) sell out), to allow people to get their own copy online for the same price as you were selling it for or maybe a bit more.

However ... as ever it is easier to deal with one supplier. If there is enough demand they will expand, and as time passes there will be scope to negotiate! (i.e. for CAS to negotiate a discount! At present the public price seems similar to the CAS members' ones)

skipper

Post by skipper » Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:13 pm

Hi Tom,

I was just wondering why there is not (or at least I cannot find it) an offer for the "free"-users to order prints etc. just for themselves. I am not interested in upgrading to a seller account. - however I might want to order one or two prints of my own pictures for myself. Would that not be another stream of revenue for CAS? I mean, the files are on your servers, the infrastructure is available and when I feel like it, I just could order a print with a single click...

tomoswald

Post by tomoswald » Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:22 pm

skipper wrote:Hi Tom,

I was just wondering why there is not (or at least I cannot find it) an offer for the "free"-users to order prints etc. just for themselves. I am not interested in upgrading to a seller account. - however I might want to order one or two prints of my own pictures for myself. Would that not be another stream of revenue for CAS? I mean, the files are on your servers, the infrastructure is available and when I feel like it, I just could order a print with a single click...
We are bringing this in :)

joseph_luong

Post by joseph_luong » Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:32 am

I am currently living in Canada, and had been printing from posterjack (available locally in my city, and for shipping in Canada and US). I've also try a much cheaper alternative at a local Walmart to test the print quality and extremely disappointed at the outcome. 5 out of 5 of 8x10 prints are really poor. Colours are off and on some can even see the print lines on photo. So what I learned from this is, well, "you get what you paid for" :-)

So I don't know how slightly lower quality is vs the price paid for. But I guess the options are good as some like high quality (with higher price) and some wouldn't mind a lower quality prints.
My 2 cents :-)

Just wondering if there is print purchase options coming for the NA market? Reason is I guess it would save on shipping time and cost.
Also wish there could be an option to see the shipping fee (don't mind estimated) to Canada US before adding everything to the basket to find out in the end.